New EMT, Hiring process advice!

ITAKECAREOFPATIENTS

Forum Probie
I had already attached the AED, so what he was listening and lookinbg for me to do was check for pulse. Finally I relaxed a little bit and said look for a pulse. I forgot stuff because of being nervous so next interview I won't freeze up.

airupthere

Forum Ride Along
Oh alright cool. my interview is friday. Do you get pay while getting trained ? I've been making sure I know my skills for the interview, after they run you through skills they interview you ? Hope I get the job :)

yupp, you get paid during orientation and training. pretty sweet.

darewreck

Forum Ride Along
Just had my interview for Americare. You go in there and take a written test. 55 questions. Make sure to know your pneumonics (ex. SAMPLE, OPQRST, APGAR, DCAPBTLS, PENMAN, things like that). The test asks a few questions which have debatable answers, which I never found out because I didn't see my test, but I would say it's mostly medical (as compared to some other IFT company tests I took). Afterwards you're given a skills test which involves procedures for taking vitals, OPA, NPA, suctioning, CPR (maybe verbalize AED), BVM, nasal cannula, and Spinal mobilization and placing on a backboard. Basically you're given a dummy to perform all that stuff on. During the test, they actually give u the grader's skill sheet, so you can read it over and see what they're going to look for when they grade you, and you definitely should! Granted, my test took forever b/c I just studied that sheet! I hadn't studied skills for about 10 months so I was worried, but it's not as bad as it seems. You just need to make sure you get the hit points (for example, contraindications for OPA/NPA are very important to know, as are other things such as not suctioning more than 15 seconds, etc.) If you pass all that, they interview you right there, asking you the common questions...What brings you to Americare, why do you want to be an EMT, etc. Hardest question I got was What is your biggest weakness, always a tough one to answer. It was pretty tough to answer on the spot, but I ended up getting offered the job, so I'm satisfied. Hope this helps anyone going through the Americare process.

Thanks for the heads up, I have an interview with them tomorrow. How long are we given to take the written test? Is it easier that the NR because I haven't read my book since last month...

shaneomac1202

Forum Probie
Had my interview Tuesday. Called them Wednesday and they said they were still going over everyone and would get to me yesterday or today.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Well I just got done with the interview about a hour ago. man did I freezup. They asked to take vitals on one of the Emt's that worked there so yea PRBELLS. well because I frooze up I said one of the L's was LOC which is wronge because ones lung sounds the others last oral intake. Also during the interview I frooze up when they asked me about myself. I felt like I used the word determined to much and it felt like i didn't put word's together in the right way. Idk I'm just nervous. I got OPA, NPA, BVM, nasal cannula, non rebrether okay. during C-spine I forgot to say I got PMS in the beggining. but half way through I said" I would have gotten his pms before putting the collar on and after fully securing him" so I think that might have been okay. also when I was doing a CPR scenario after cycles of cpr and using the AED I finally said to check a pulse. the man giving the inteview kept saying "ok you give 2 mins cpr still no rise and fall of chest still unconcious wut do you do next" ? IDK anyone have any advise if I should worry or not ?

PRBELLS Pulse, Respirations, Blood Pressure, Eyes, Lung Sounds, Level of Consciousness, Skin/Scars. This must be a California thing.

smelleecat

Forum Crew Member
It's all for LA and OC counties. Which I dont know at all. I applied there because their website and person I contacted on the phone said they still operate in Hemet and riverside county. However during my interview I learned they stopped the riverside and Hemet operations in 2008. Yeah I got hired at AMR.

which division are you working for?