New C_Spine Precautions - Southwest CT

Raptor

Forum Probie
This is a poor attitude and does not serve your patients. If you do the right thing for your patient, you cover their ***. This is how you "CYA" (such a silly phrase; I suggest you drop it).

If your physical exam does not correlate with an unstable SCI you have no business placing them in a C-collar and strapping them to an extrication device. "CYA" is not an indication I've ever seen for any procedure.

Crews who do this sort of immobilization at our service are given remedial training, which can lead to disciplinary actions if they do not improve performance.
I suppose I can only bring the focus back to the nature of the agency's calls...they never bothered to focus on boarding, when we have so few of them. As it were, I'm not with that agency anymore...Not that it changes the fact that they really should sit everyone down with a protocol book.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As of late, I find myself doing the whole "board and collar" more to get the patient to not have an excuse to sue me... it's a sue-happy world, it's cheaper for us to waste the collar and straps.

I suppose I can only bring the focus back to the nature of the agency's calls...they never bothered to focus on boarding, when we have so few of them. As it were, I'm not with that agency anymore...Not that it changes the fact that they really should sit everyone down with a protocol book.

If you are not working for a service why are you boarding people?
if you work for another service why did you answer the question using the policy (or lack there of) of a former employer?

Raptor

Forum Probie
If you are not working for a service why are you boarding people?
if you work for another service why did you answer the question using the policy (or lack there of) of a former employer?

I apologize, I misspoke...I was referring to that the last few boardings I've done. I don't currently work for any service, I was just mentioning my experiences of board-and-collars.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I apologize, I misspoke...I was referring to that the last few boardings I've done. I don't currently work for any service, I was just mentioning my experiences of board-and-collars.

ahh ok, that makes more sense

I encourage you to search around the forum a bit. This topic pops up quite a bit and there are some good discussions and studies kicking around.

Rhyse

Forum Ride Along
We are using the same protocols in Northern CT (Hartford County) and in Southern CT (Middlesex County)...Ambulatory on scene = collar and no board.

And last i heard (a few days ago), Backboards are going to be disappearing and its going to be "consider using a C-collar"

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Anyone have the actual text of YNH or the regional protocols? Google is failing me