NEW and begin working for a private company???

Jenny

Forum Ride Along
Hello to all:

I am an EMT-B i will begin my very first job in a private company on august 25th i am a little bit nervous but im noticing that private company's dont pay much at all and i dont know if going into FDNY EMS will be better or what?? I have no experience with private companys so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jenny

Epi-do

I see dead people
Welcome to EMTLife! I can't offer any info on NY private service, but in alot of ways I am sure all private service is alot alike. Be prepared to get your butt run off for little pay and even less appreciation for doing it. However, it can still be a great learning experience if you allow it to be one.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Getting on with a fire based EMS service will be better for you in the long run (from what I hear) vs. a private EMS service. Pay will probably be better, plus the fire aspect helps secure a decent retirement, if you are going to make it your lifelong career.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
if fdny will pick you up as a basic with zero street time then by all means go for it.

private company: dialysis, radiation, LOLiNAD's, dr appts etc. basically fancy taxi work.

urban 911 provider: actual EMERGENCY medical work.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Hello to all:

I am an EMT-B i will begin my very first job in a private company on august 25th i am a little bit nervous but im noticing that private company's dont pay much at all and i dont know if going into FDNY EMS will be better or what?? I have no experience with private companys so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jenny

That's the the nature of the beast my friend. Whether you're BLS or ALS you can expect little pay in comparison with the amount of hours worked. Under normal circumstances, you can expect better pay being a State or City employee because this is usually a salaried position. Unfortunately, as another member mentioned, it might be difficult to get hired with these agencies with no prior experience.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its all up to the organization. i can tell you the boston ems will hire you right out of the gate with no experience(they actually prefer it. no bad habits). i dont know if fdny operates the same way, hence me saying if they do, go for it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hello to all:

Thanks,
Jenny

FDNY would be alot better. On top of that, you have voluntary hospitals who pay a hell of alot more moeny once you have experience. Saint Vincent's in Manhattan is one.

Oh and one bit of advice, most people here are unfamiliar with NYC EMS pay which can be substanially more than other places. FDNY and Voluntary hospitals are much better than private companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
i worked transport only when i first got my cert. while it IS a good learning experience,it tends to get very boring very quickly. so id go along with if you can get on with FDNY, then do that. running 911 is always better than routine transports.

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new job!!!!!

firecoins

IFT Puppet