NEMSA Info?

Medic Kevorkian

Forum Ride Along
Looking for any info (good or bad) on NEMSA. Is anyone a member? If so, how do you like them? Have they done what they promised?

ASTMedic

Forum Probie
I'm also looking for some info on NEMSA. We don't have union representation and are looking to go with them.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kevorkian but didnt want to start another for the same topic.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've heard good and bad on NEMSA... I discussed NEMSA in some detail with some CA medics in 2005 during our Katrina deployment. They were happier with NEMSA than their former union, because NEMSA is EMS-only.

The other advantage of NEMSA, at least at that point (2 years ago), was that LOTS of AMR was either NEMSA or going NEMSA... giving them the potential to be able to actually have some force in negotiations with such a large company.

However... There have also been lots of people dissatisfied with NEMSA, and NEMSA ditched the Portland AMR EMT's without any notice. Also, I remember hearing complaints that they were only "fighting" for some areas, while they gave other AMR division's employees 1 offer, and said "it's the best you are going to get".

OP
OP
M

Medic Kevorkian

Forum Ride Along
There have also been lots of people dissatisfied with NEMSA, and NEMSA ditched the Portland AMR EMT's without any notice.

I have heard about the Portland incident, and from what I understand they had negotiated 2 TAs (I have a copy of the last one) and it didn't look bad. The Portland members weren't happy with an average 26% pay increase with some getting in excess of 35%, so they went to decertify NEMSA and were signing cards to vote in the Teamsters when NEMSA pulled out.

I heard another story about Piner Ambulance, and it seems that when they downsized to 12 employees that weren't union friendly, they all agreed to split amicably.

Does anyone have any other stories? I know they went to bat for EMS against Olympus Cameras when they made a commercial that showed 2 EMS workers stealing a camera from a patient. They threatened them with a boycott if they didn't pull the ad for making it appear EMS workers were thieves. (When actually it's just most of the commercial services not their employees that deal with thievery ;) )

We belong to a union that is 22000 strong. Unfortunately 1% or less is EMS. When an EMS bill goes to the legislature that the RNs and CNAs that belong to our union oppose, who will our union support? Certainly not us EMS people. the 1% ******* children.

ASTMedic

Forum Probie
I like the fact that they are all EMS also. When I have an issue I would rather talk to someone who understands my job and not some random person. I also like the fact that they are nonprofit

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The local private ambulance that provides our ALS support is currently negotiating their first contract with NEMSA. I'll let you know if I hear anything either way. So far both the employees and management are pretty content with the process.

ASTMedic

Forum Probie
The local private ambulance that provides our ALS support is currently negotiating their first contract with NEMSA. I'll let you know if I hear anything either way. So far both the employees and management are pretty content with the process.

Thanks for the help. I know that a Union can be a craps shoot no matter who you go with but any extra info I can dig up will help.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
NEMSA is a union, like AFL-CIO or IAFF, except that it is EMS-only

mtmedic

Forum Crew Member
We are currently involved in thee beginning phases of the process and are scheduled to have our vote next month. So far they have been very patient with us. I know management is not very pleased as this was a large surprise but we are in a position where we need some help and support. I will provide feedback as the process progresses if any of you want to know more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norcal medic

Forum Ride Along
Looking for info about NEMSA

NEMSA will be a really good union as soon as it becomes a true reflection of the democratic process. Check out the web site: take back our ems union

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
My company was recently unionized through NEMSA and I am a union steward.

I've had a lot of very good interactions with my rep who was a paramedic in the area for many years. We're currently working through our first grievance and it's going well, I've had good communication throughout. The rep has been more than willing to hold my hand through the process, which I very much appreciate.

I have heard, however, from several people down here that NEMSA is "next to powerless." However, this is purely anecdotal, I've heard no cases to back it up, then again I haven't really looked into it too much.

I'm generally not a fan of unions, but we needed some sort of protection, it seemed that here showing up and doing one's job well just wasn't enough. Unfortunatley, this will also protect the slackers and people who shouldn't be in the field, but, y'know, I suppose it's a two way street.

OP
OP
M

Medic Kevorkian

Forum Ride Along
Unfortunatley, this will also protect the slackers and people who shouldn't be in the field, but, y'know, I suppose it's a two way street.

Not if the company is doing things correctly to weed out these individuals. A union is there to provide collective bargaining rights, and to enforce the details of the contract. If the company fails to adhere to the contract by terminating an employee without following the appropriate procedures, and the union enforces this, it may be conceived as defending bad behavior. However, if the company had acted in accordance with the contract, this wouldn't be an issue.

As a union steward you are obliged to defend an employee. If the employee screws up, and the company has appropriate documentation, then they must follow the progressive discipline set forth in the collective bargaining agreement. If that doesn't weed out the slackers, then the company isn't following the necessary appropriate documentation procedures for doing so.

As an additional note, we did go with NEMSA after this initial thread was written. The concept of an all EMS union is good, however with a poor national leadership with questionable integrity, things have not been what had been promised. I know there are changes on the horizon, I only hope that this change comes to fruition before the membership becomes so disenchanted that they either change unions again, or de-certify completely. That would be a tragic loss of what has been gained from the previous years.

Last edited by a moderator:

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
My company was recently unionized through NEMSA and I am a union steward.

I've had a lot of very good interactions with my rep who was a paramedic in the area for many years. We're currently working through our first grievance and it's going well, I've had good communication throughout. The rep has been more than willing to hold my hand through the process, which I very much appreciate.

I have heard, however, from several people down here that NEMSA is "next to powerless." However, this is purely anecdotal, I've heard no cases to back it up, then again I haven't really looked into it too much.

I'm generally not a fan of unions, but we needed some sort of protection, it seemed that here showing up and doing one's job well just wasn't enough. Unfortunatley, this will also protect the slackers and people who shouldn't be in the field, but, y'know, I suppose it's a two way street.

wow, you must work at my company!

we are having union steward elections right now, we'll see who gets on.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Not if the company is doing things correctly to weed out these individuals. A union is there to provide collective bargaining rights, and to enforce the details of the contract. If the company fails to adhere to the contract by terminating an employee without following the appropriate procedures, and the union enforces this, it may be conceived as defending bad behavior. However, if the company had acted in accordance with the contract, this wouldn't be an issue.

As a union steward you are obliged to defend an employee. If the employee screws up, and the company has appropriate documentation, then they must follow the progressive discipline set forth in the collective bargaining agreement. If that doesn't weed out the slackers, then the company isn't following the necessary appropriate documentation procedures for doing so.

As an additional note, we did go with NEMSA after this initial thread was written. The concept of an all EMS union is good, however with a poor national leadership with questionable integrity, things have not been what had been promised. I know there are changes on the horizon, I only hope that this change comes to fruition before the membership becomes so disenchanted that they either change unions again, or de-certify completely. That would be a tragic loss of what has been gained from the previous years.

Eh... working under UFCW for three years at a grocery store I found it's very possible to slack way off and perform very poorly as long as you're following the letter of your contract. In a sense the guy who busts his *** all day walks home with the same pay-check as the guy who does barely enough to not get fired.

There's really no motivation to excel since pay-increases are based on time invested with the company and not on merit or value to the company.

And of course I'll defend an employee, but if they're getting off scot-free because of a shadily worded portion of the contract when they very obviously screwed up, how just is that?