Listed is: Respirations (breaths/min.)

Newborn 30-60 0-1month or 0-30 days.
Infant 25-50 1-m-1year
Toddler 20-30 1-3years
Preschool 20-25 3-6years
School Age 15-20 6-12years
Adolescent 12-16 12-18years
+18years 12-20 18years older

My questions is how to determine how many b/per second, or breaths per second ranges? (Ventilation rates)

Eg. We all know that the Adult is 1 breath every 5-6 seconds. Child is 1b/3-5secs and Infant 1b/3-5secs.

Ventilation rate ranges, and determining how the "5-6 seconds" is figured out.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, perhaps I am looking to deep into this, I just want to be prepared if this is asked on my next exam. I have in my notes. "Know the different Resp. ranges for each of the above and how many breaths per second". Know the ages difference, pulse rate ranges, Blood pressure ranges, and Respirations of each age group. Which I already have memorized.

Thank for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
An adult breathes 12-20 times in a minute.

I breath every 5 seconds is 12 breaths. I breath every 6 seconds is 10 breaths. 1 every 3 seconds is 20.

I don't think I understand what you're asking?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
60 seconds in 1 minute: divide breaths per minute by 60 for breaths per second, although it doesn't make sense the way your asking because nobody, except newborns, breathes once per second
example:
60b per minute/60=1 b per second
20b per minute/60=.3b per second
16b per minute/60=.26b per second
see how it doesn't make sense?

I think your trying to ask how many seconds per breath in which case you just switch the numerator and denominator so divide 60 seconds by how many breaths per minute
example:
60b per minute, 60s/60b= 1s per breath
20b per minute, 60s/20b= 3s per breath
16b per minute, 60s/16b=~4s per breath

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a sheet of Vital Signs by Age.

Listed is: Respirations (breaths/min.)

Newborn 30-60 0-1month or 0-30 days.
Infant 25-50 1-m-1year
Toddler 20-30 1-3years
Preschool 20-25 3-6years
School Age 15-20 6-12years
Adolescent 12-16 12-18years
+18years 12-20 18years older

My questions is how to determine how many b/per second, or breaths per second ranges? (Ventilation rates)

Eg. We all know that the Adult is 1 breath every 5-6 seconds. Child is 1b/3-5secs and Infant 1b/3-5secs.

Ventilation rate ranges, and determining how the "5-6 seconds" is figured out.

Your question seems to be (according to the part I highlighted in bold in your quote) how to determine how many breaths per second. I think you have that backwards; if I understand the rest of what you're asking, I think you want to know how many seconds per breath, or said another way, you want to know one breath per how many seconds.

If that is the case, you simply take 60 (the number of seconds in one minute) and divide that by the number of breaths in one minute.

So for example, you have in your list "+18years 12-20". Divide 60 by 12 and get 5; divide 60 by 20 and get 3. So this tells you that a person aged 18 years and up breathes once every 3 to 5 seconds.

Is this what you were asking?

18G

Paramedic
To figure out how many breaths to give every so many seconds to achieve the desired rate per minute, just divide the minute rate by 60.

For example, you want to ventilate a patient at 20/min... so you would ventilate once every 5 seconds to achieve 20 breaths a minute.

60 divided by 20 = 5 (one breath every 5 seconds)

or

You want to ventilate a neonate at 40/min.... just divide your rate (40) by a minute (60)... which equals 1.5... or real world... you'll ventilate once every 1-2 seconds to achieve rate of 40/min.

Again, to figure out rates by ventilations per second.... just divide the rate by a minute (60).

Is that what you were asking?

18G

Paramedic
Perhaps you need to commit the pediatric normals to memory for an exam... but real world we don't have all of them committed to memory. Practitioners of all levels require a reference chart for pediatric normals, equipment sizes, med doses, etc.

So don't sweat over committing all of those to memory because I promise you, you will forget them given the infrequent pediatric encounters.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
To figure out how many breaths to give every so many seconds to achieve the desired rate per minute, just divide the minute rate by 60.

For example, you want to ventilate a patient at 20/min... so you would ventilate once every 5 seconds to achieve 20 breaths a minute.

60 divided by 20 = 5 (one breath every 5 seconds)

or

You want to ventilate a neonate at 40/min.... just divide your rate (40) by a minute (60)... which equals 1.5... or real world... you'll ventilate once every 1-2 seconds to achieve rate of 40/min.

Again, to figure out rates by ventilations per second.... just divide the rate by a minute (60).

Is that what you were asking?

Some of your math statements are backwards. In your first paragraph, it's divide 60 by the minute rate, not divide the minute rate by 60. Or said another way, it's divide the minute rate into, not by, 60.

In your second and third paragraphs, if you want to ventilate at 20/min, you'd ventilate every three seconds, not every five. 60 divided by 20 = 3, not 5.

In the fourth paragraph (the one about the neonate) you again say divide the minute rate (40) by number of seconds in a minute (60) to get 1.5; again, this is backwards. It's 60 divided by 40 to get 1.5.

Same thing for the fifth paragraph, it's backwards. Divide a minute (60 seconds) by the minute rate. We're not looking for the number of ventilations per second; we're looking for the number of seconds per ventilation, which in other words is one ventilation every N number of seconds.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I just want to make sure the OP is getting an accurate answer.

18G

Paramedic
Thanks for catching the reversed explanation... your right... and also the 20/min is one every 3... one every 5 would be 12/min....