Need some advice

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Hey All,

I was a paramedic for 1/2 a deacade and was a very active memember of this forum. I had some personal tradegy happen to me and I step back from EMS. I always thought of going back into the field but I started a career in IT... Started making a lot of money and moving up... Fast forward 8 years and I am feeling the itch to get back into ems.. Maybe Volunteering or doing something part-time. I dunno...

I miss it.. Most my familiy is health care and I miss being able to talk that shop.. I miss the sirens... I miss the familiy (Brother \ Sisterhood)..... I miss helping people......

Has anyone been in the same situation? I live in MA... Not sure what the transition would be... Everything has lasped.... I was a Licensed NREMT-P provider. ACLS, PALS, BLS, ETC.... I see stuff for refreshers.. Could I just do this or would I need to back to school? I am also 42.... Getting old lol.

Thanks! for any feedback

Last edited:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hey All,

I was a paramedic for 1/2 a deacade and was a very active memember of this forum. I had some personal tradegy happen to me and I step back from EMS. I always thought of going back into the field but I started a career in IT... Started making a lot of money and moving up... Fast forward 8 years and I am feeling the itch to get back into ems.. Maybe Volunteering or doing something part-time. I dunno...

I miss it.. Most my familiy is health care and I miss being able to talk that shop.. I miss the sirens... I miss the familiy (Brother \ Sisterhood)..... I miss helping people......

Has anyone been in the same situation? I live in MA... Not sure what the transition would be... Everything has lasped.... I was a Licensed NREMT-P provider. ACLS, PALS, BLS, ETC.... I see stuff for refreshers.. Could I just do this or would I need to back to school? I am also 42.... Getting old lol.

Thanks! for any feedback
Hey!

The NREMT provides guidance on lapsed licenses. Do 60 credits of continuing education and then pass the the National Registry Paramedic Certification test and skills verification.

I wouldn't leave a high paying job for EMS, why not work PRN? It seems like most services are desperate for medics, you could work a few shifts a month.

Good luck!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
In addition to the good advice from MMiz, you should check with the MA EMS office to see what they require. Rules for reinstatement vary by state.

Jawom

Forum Ride Along
Hey All,

Thanks! for any feedback
42 is not old. Got my paramedic at 59 for a second career. Best thing I ever did. Go back part time.