Need Schedule Help/Ideas

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
The volunteer department that I am with is putting in for four full-time firefighter/EMT's as soon as the SAFER grant deadline is announced and opened here in Texas. They want me to plan a schedule for 2-4 full-time firefighters to propose to the City Council. I don't know that 24-48's will work with that only 4 people. They are wanting more of a schedule where we are on-duty for peak time, but they are definately NOT OUT of the idea of 24-48s. I'm all for the 24 on 48 off.

So how would I even approach trying to figure out a shift schedule like this? I'd need hours for 2 personell, 3 personell and 4 personell shifts.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
That's :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty.... There are vollies, right? Just a real quick brainstorming (haven't put this down on to look at and I'm about ready to pass out...) How about two guys to a "crew", 4 12hr shifts a week per "crew", with a shift overlapping crews on your statistically busiest day. The rest of the time can be supplemented by vollies.

Or just convince them to hire two more and do a 24/48 supplemented by your vollies....

OP
OP
C

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
We will still have volunteers also. Its really confusing trying to figure this out! Thanks for the suggestion on the two crews on 4-12's! I'll write that one down for sure.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Another option is 3 on a 24 48 scheduled and then one on 5 8hr shifts on the busiest days at the busiest times. this way your station is always manned and you can have some on in charge with 2 full timers during peak times.

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
What are they having to staff? Are they all FF/Medics? Is your dept running EMS as well? and Do they expect the full timers to help cover weekends? If they are expected to be able to pull an engine are they all required to be Driver/Pump operators in order to be full time?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
What are they wanting staffed? A building? A fire engine? A fly car?