need heart advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

23jordan

Forum Ride Along
Sorry this is long... but Hi, I'm new to this.. I just joined today so i'm still learning. I'm a 17 year old(soon to be 18) male with heart trouble. I plan to get my EMT-B when i turn 18. I just joined the volunteer fire dept. as a cadet. I havent been there for two weeks since my last "episode" .. During training they called a medic to get me, and i havent been back since. It's very embarrassing At random times my heart rate will jump to 150 bmp. I'll try and give you all the facts. My resting heart rate is usually around 90. I always have palpitations, chest pain, and occasional "skipped" beats. I don't do too much exercise anymore. I don't do illegal drugs, I'm off all prescription drugs (Lexapro, Wellbutrin) for anxiety. I stay away from caffeine. I do have anxiety. I have an appt. with cardiologist soon, and have talked to him about this before meeting. He says he thinks i have tachycardia and then my anxiety triggers heart rate to go to 150 range. Its very scary when it happens. So i have some questions.. 1) when it happens im not sure wether to call 911? I've been to the ER about three-four times THIS year. always the same thing.. they see i have a fast heart rate and high blood pressure, but it doesnt go down. they run tests and everything comes back okay. i'm also on a heart monitor for 30 days. i've heard different things from different paramedics. one mentioned PSVT, but i dont think my heart goes that fast.. another mentioned something with my t waves. and another just thinks anxiety. but i am in counseling and previous meds havent worked. i have some ekg paperwork but i dont know how to show it to you. but usually the paper says im in sinus tach, and have abnormal t waves. i was prescribed valium a couple days ago to help calm me down when it happens. i took one yesterday for the first time (half of 5 mg) when i felt anxious and about 20 mins later my heart monitor went off. so ecardio called and said they received it and they tech was looking at it. but during that i called 911 because i felt like i was going to pass out. they came and it was 152 bpm and it went down to 120 and i was stable so i had them leave. so my biggest worry is my heart rate going to fast and me going into cardiac arrest. but my cardiologist looked at my recordings and said he sees a fast heart rate but all my rhythms were perfect. so is it okay to have a heart rate of 150? i try vagal maneuver but it barely works. i'm just looking for some advice because i want this taken care of so i can get back to the fire dept.. i really want to work my way up to a paramedic. and sorry if i left anything out! i've read posts on here and most ask for more information. so thanks!!!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sorry bud, no medical advice on this forum.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Sorry bud, no medical advice on this forum.

Yep, he's right. Per our rules...
No Medical Advice

To ensure the safety of everyone, EMTLife participants are not allowed to provide or seek medical advice via the forum, private message, or via EMTLife's email feature. Information contained on or made available through EMTLife is not intended to and does not constitute medical advice or recommendations of any kind. Participants seeking medical advice or treatment should contact their physician or local emergency services.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.