need assistance in certification and reciprocity.

ridemx

Forum Ride Along
I am currently an EMT-B in Virginia and my certification is expiring this September. I initially got my certification before being affiliated to improve my chances of becoming a member at a local rescue squad. Unfortunately the rescue squad was so competitive that after 3 years of applying, I never made it on. So issue #1, I am stuck, unaffiliated trying to renew and I honestly don't think I could pass the tests without a refresher course, I have reviewed the material often just to keep it all fresh in my mind, but I have forgotten some of the specific details required to pass the practical tests. So now to issue #2, I am moving to Delaware in May for a new job. Delaware requires NREMT certification for reciprocity, and I am only certified in Virginia, not National Registry. So, how do I become certified in Delaware without retaking the entire class. I can take a refresher course and pass the test in Virginia, but that wouldn't get me the NREMT certification that Delaware requires. Is there any way to get eligibility to test for the NREMT certification having taken the class 3 years ago, would a refresher class get my NREMT eligability?

gw812

Forum Crew Member
You might be able to challenge the course and just take the final, but 3 years not doing the job might be a reason to retake. It would suck to lose the money but you would regain the knowledge.

Tom Perroni

Forum Crew Member
I am currently an EMT-B in Virginia and my certification is expiring this September. I initially got my certification before being affiliated to improve my chances of becoming a member at a local rescue squad. Unfortunately the rescue squad was so competitive that after 3 years of applying, I never made it on. So issue #1, I am stuck, unaffiliated trying to renew and I honestly don't think I could pass the tests without a refresher course, I have reviewed the material often just to keep it all fresh in my mind, but I have forgotten some of the specific details required to pass the practical tests. So now to issue #2, I am moving to Delaware in May for a new job. Delaware requires NREMT certification for reciprocity, and I am only certified in Virginia, not National Registry. So, how do I become certified in Delaware without retaking the entire class. I can take a refresher course and pass the test in Virginia, but that wouldn't get me the NREMT certification that Delaware requires. Is there any way to get eligibility to test for the NREMT certification having taken the class 3 years ago, would a refresher class get my NREMT eligability?

Give me a call (540) 322-3000

Tom Perroni
Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy Medical Training Director

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief