National vs. State Testing- Illinois EMT-B

Red7403

Forum Ride Along
Five more meetups and then my class is out and ready to set up for testing. The head of our department will be coming around to help us get registered for the tests after our final skills testing.

So my question is one I'm sure most of you have had to figure out already- do I sit for the State of IL test first, or go the NREMT route first? I'm not asking which one is easier, or which one has a better pass rate. (When my classmates asked those questions I kind of winced... I mean, really?) I'd like to know what seemed to serve all of you better in the long term. I've got the basic info down, so no need to google it for me. ;)

For logistics sake, I've trained in Peoria IL and will be relocating towards Chicago/Oakbrook soon- will be applying and interviewing up there primarily.

Thanks!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know that it matters which one is done first, but definitely get them both.

National is nice; you never know when you may decide to move. I am now working in another state on National Registry. 4 years ago I worked in Indiana

codethree

Forum Crew Member
State first to physically set in your skills then do your NREMT