Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Feel complicated and hard to record

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Make for difficult restock

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not sure how well the test thing would work here, I draw up and admin or waste narcs all the time. We don't return anything once its been drawn, we waste it and both medics sign for it. If the drug has expired, then we will return it to the pharmacy, otherwise once we have it we use it.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
Pharmacists, Pyxis machines... Wow some services are rediculous in their practices. As Rid said it doesnt have to be anywhere near that complicated. And as far as a pharmacyst testing the wastage to see if it's really the narc??? I'm sorry but I would take offense to that. HUGE offense. If you don't trust me to waste the proper narc, then you probably shouldn't hire me because I'm obviously not trustworthy!

As far as my system goes, The narcs are kept under lock and key in the truck. They never leave the truck. The incharge is the only one with a key to the box. They are logged at the beginning, and end of each shift change. When they are administered they are documented on a separate form with time, date, run #, amt admin., and amt wasted (if any). If wastage occurs, both crew members must sign. When we need to replace narcs, we contact the on duty field sup. He/She comes and brings us more.

We carry Fentanyl, Morphine, Valium, Versed, Succs, Etomidate, Vec.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
They never leave your truck? Don't you carry the drugs with you to the patient? If you don't have a pharmacy or PYXIS machine to retrieve your drugs from, where do you restock? And where do they restock? Just curious.

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Most states only require a pharmacist if purchasing direct, under a physician license. I have worked where we ordered narcotics directly alike all other medications, one has order under the physician DEA number.

Shame to have to "test" this assumes that there is a problem, as well as waste in front of them. What happens if it is late at night or have multiple calls, etc?

R/r 911

We get all our meds from our resource hospital and have the bonus of being able to switchout any meds near expiration date without charge. One of those things where it has always been done that way...

As for multiple calls, we carry enough for three or four back to back calls without replacement. Two extra stocked drug boxes and narc boxes are kept locked up at the resource hospital if needed.

Long time ago, we used to do the waste in front of partner or nurse and sign a wastage sheet but new PMD and new head pharmacist changed the system a couple years ago. Again, no problem that I know of, they just wanted more accountability.