Narcan for Peds??

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Hello all,

So today i attended new hire orientation at my new job, a busy hospital here in Mesa, AZ. We heard the story of Josie King, a Pediatric pt who was killed due to poor communication and lack of staff response. Anyhow, we watched a speech that the mother had given after Josie's death. She was explaining the procedures that had been done. She referenced a nurse coming in pushing 2 of Narcan. Now as far as I knew (just in talking with ALS providers I know) Narcan was only used to counteract a drug high. Why would they push it on a pediatric pt?

The transcript can be found here. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
this ones too easy. they over medicated the baby and then had to try and correct the error with narcan. it would appear that it was ineffective.

remember, peds are just as susceptible to errors as adults. ive worked calls where we pushed narcan on a child of about the same age after it was determined that the kid got into dads vicodin.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jeremy89

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
this ones too easy. they over medicated the baby and then had to try and correct the error with narcan. it would appear that it was ineffective.

remember, peds are just as susceptible to errors as adults. ive worked calls where we pushed narcan on a child of about the same age after it was determined that the kid got into dads vicodin.

Ah, that makes sense. Just the way she said it, it didn't sound urgent, like it was an antibiotic to be givin whenever the nurse had a chance...

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well when your trying to cover up a mistake, you dont advertise it do you?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i have had to push narcan on children a few times when like Kevd said when they get into mommy or daddy's pills. For the life of me i don't see how a child could possibly out one of those in their mouth without spitting it out. Children don't dry swallow pills often so they usually have to taste it first.