My first "real" EMT shift!

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone, my agency has FINALLY gotten all my paperwork together so after my physical tomorrow, I'll be an actual volunteer EMT! I was signed up by my captain to work our local race track when the "World of Outlaws" comes to town tuesday night! YAY!!! (Besides, I love sprint cars, and these are the famous guys! From TV!) My dad got me into watching them with him when I was a little girl, and now he will be in the stands that night, while I'm near the track, waiting to help somebody! How cool is that! Since this will be my first patient care delivered in the field (am used to it in the ER), do any of you have any good advice for me? I won't be alone, obviously, but am nervous about remembering all I learned in school!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Congratulations!

As for advice, remember to breathe. Remember that not every patient is on the virge of dying. Take your time and I'm sure everything will be alright.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
oooooo sprint car race!

* Beware of flying car parts and dirt. both can git ya.
* Sprint car guys (and motocross types) can be a little hot headed and may try to avoid medical attention so they can get back into the race. Don't take it personally.
* And remember the ABCs above all else.

Good luck, and have fun! :D

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
* Beware of flying car parts and dirt. both can git ya.
* Sprint car guys (and motocross types) can be a little hot headed and may try to avoid medical attention so they can get back into the race. Don't take it personally.
* And remember the ABCs above all else.

Ditto....having done a fair share of demos and other stuff like that (I'm not a big race/demo fan :::Yawn::: ), I agree with that. Safety is important. And it's not just the guys, I've seen a few chicks throw tantrums out in the arena too.