my first day of work

TheDoll

Forum Captain
tomorrow i start my first job as an emt, and i was hoping that some of you could help answer some questions for me. first, do any of you have suggestions for pants? don't worry, i have my uniform together and everything, but i want different pants. the kind that i have are lavigne, but they are an awkward fit. have any of you (especially the girls) found pants that aren't so bad?

my next question--
is there any equipment or anything that i should bring with me? this might be obvious to a lot of you, so, sorry if this question sounds a bit obtuse. i just want to make sure that i'm not missing anything. at the same time i don't want to show up with a duffle of equipment:D

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Where is your new job at Doll? I always bring my own stethoscope, trauma shears, and several black ball point pens. Both of my jobs supply nitrile gloves because of my latex allergy. As far as uniform pants go, it depends on what your company dress code requires. Good luck with your new job!! :):)

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
wishard hospital in indy. thanks for the tip on what to bring!

Epi-do

I see dead people
Congrats on getting an ambulance spot at the Wiz! Like already mentioned, I just bring black pens, and a stethoscope. I used to carry my own trauma shears, but we typically have multiple pairs on our truck so I don't even bother with them anymore. What truck/shift will you be working?

As for the pants, I really like Aspen Mills. You have to order them online though.

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
thanks!
as far as the pants go, do they fit like most normal pants or are they high waisted? the one's that i had to buy make me feel like ed grimly:D

Epi-do

I see dead people
They are high-waisted, like any other EMS pants. I've just found that the women's pants they have fit better than any others I've tried. They also seem to hold up better than most.

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
okay, thanks for the tip! i will probably check them out. i wish they didn't have that d@mn high waist, though! who wears pants like that anymore? don't get me wrong, i know it's not a fashion show, but jeeez? the worst part is that they just feel uncomfortable and awkward. oh, well, i'll stop complaining. the truth is, i can't wait to begin my first day:)

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
okay, the first day went well...except at one point i hopped in the wrong ambulance:blush:--oh, we got a good laugh alright! everyone i worked with was nice and helpful. it wasn't very exciting, but that is okay by me on day 1!

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
okay, the first day went well...except at one point i hopped in the wrong ambulance:blush:--oh, we got a good laugh alright!

That's not that bad. We've had crew members get on the wrong train! Try explaining that to the dispatcher.

Lisa

Forum Crew Member
Job!

Congrats on a great first day!! As far as the pants go..... depending on what type pants you want... I have the same problem with the high waist thing!!! Anyway I have both the Elbeco EMS pants for women and I recently purchased a pair of 5.11 Class B pants. They are a little pricy but wear well and look very professional!!!

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
thanks for the comments, everyone! lisa, i'll check out those pants.
oh, and, anomolous, where do you have emt/paramedics on trains?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Seeing that as a Rookie you will be whipsawing between what's called "Unconscious Competence" (where, since you don't know what you're doing, you do it right because you don't know what you're missing) and "Conscious Incompetence" (where, as you learn what you don't know, you become so conscious of it that it screws up whatever you do know) I would advise getting a real good belt so your pants (whoever makes them) don't fall down.

Welcome to FNGaldom!

OP
OP
TheDoll

TheDoll

Forum Captain
Seeing that as a Rookie you will be whipsawing between what's called "Unconscious Competence" (where, since you don't know what you're doing, you do it right because you don't know what you're missing) and "Conscious Incompetence" (where, as you learn what you don't know, you become so conscious of it that it screws up whatever you do know) I would advise getting a real good belt so your pants (whoever makes them) don't fall down.

Welcome to FNGaldom!
not only did that make me laugh, but it is some of the most profound advice i have received! thank you, firetender, i will make sure i have a belt, and i will remember your words!:D