Must-read texts

RocKetamine

Forum Crew Member
Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine is fantastic. I used it in Paramedic school more than my actual textbook.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine is fantastic. I used it in Paramedic school more than my actual textbook.

The vast majority of paramedic students probably wouldn't find Tintinalli's that valuable. Great, comprehensive text, but simply too in-depth and way over the head of a layperson.

RocKetamine

Forum Crew Member
The vast majority of paramedic students probably wouldn't find Tintinalli's that valuable. Great, comprehensive text, but simply too in-depth and way over the head of a layperson.

Oh no doubt, I just didn't find Nancy Caroline that appealing with the cartoons and short stories trying to dumb down the material. There were other books that I used more than Tintinalli's, but they wouldn't be helpful for advanced providers.

TattooedNay

Forum Crew Member
For Cardiology my saving grace(s) were the following

Rapid Interpretation of EKG's - Dale Dubin
The 12-Lead ECG in Acute Coronary Syndromes- Tim Phalen
Basic Arrhythmias with 12-Lead EKG's - Gail Walravej (Brady)

My "bible" is the little ACLS spiral handbook.

I have also heard great things about "The Streetmedic's Handbook" but it is too expensive for me at the moment.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Manual of Emergency Airway Management by Walls & Murphy is, IMO, the best book on airway management for EMS out there. Probably the most interesting and practical of any EMS-related text I've ever read.

I have also heard great things about "The Streetmedic's Handbook" but it is too expensive for me at the moment.

That's interesting....I've never heard of that book until now, but years ago a good friend of mine (who is now an intensivist MD) and I talked rather seriously about writing a book that we would title "The Flightmedic's Handook". Our vision was that it would be comprehensive enough to use as an outline to study for certification exams, yet concise enough to be used as a quick reference. This was well before FOAMed was a thing, and long before everyone and their brother had a business teaching review courses and selling DVD's to wannabe FP-C's and CFRN's. Oh well, talk is cheap, and the idea is ancient history now.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have the Manual of Emergency Airway Management and have read it cover to cover several times. Amazing book for any serious provider that deals with advanced airways.
My other favorite book is Emergency Cardiology, second edition by Ratib
Manual of Emergency Airway Management by Walls & Murphy is, IMO, the best book on airway management for EMS out there. Probably the most interesting and practical of any EMS-related text I've ever read.

That's interesting....I've never heard of that book until now, but years ago a good friend of mine (who is now an intensivist MD) and I talked rather seriously about writing a book that we would title "The Flightmedic's Handook". Our vision was that it would be comprehensive enough to use as an outline to study for certification exams, yet concise enough to be used as a quick reference. This was well before FOAMed was a thing, and long before everyone and their brother had a business teaching review courses and selling DVD's to wannabe FP-C's and CFRN's. Oh well, talk is cheap, and the idea is ancient history now.