Mt. San Antonio College August 2010

terrible one

Always wandering
but then again, fail % shouldnt matter to anyone. If you go to mt. sac, pti, freeman, it shouldnt matter where it is, you should be studying just as hard to learn more; after all, you'll need to have the base of knowledge when you go in to do your clinicals/internship or you'll fail out either ways

in LA co-
its pretty difficult to fail clinicals. the internship, depending where you go and what agency your affiliated with, you could pass without displaying adequate knowledge

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
in LA co-
its pretty difficult to fail clinicals. the internship, depending where you go and what agency your affiliated with, you could pass without displaying adequate knowledge

Or you could fail for not playing the games a lot of stations like to throw at the interns. I'm not saying to be disrespectful or not help out, you are in their house after all, but a medic intern is not a probationary FF and should not be treated as such.

OP
OP
C

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Bump - anyone else registered for this pre-course?

CSLEMT

Forum Ride Along
Russ Weck: LACOFD Prep Course

Russ Weck: LA County Fire

Does anyone have a contact number or link to sign up for his prep course?

B.K.

Forum Probie
yeah i was there alright and it turns out i need to re-learn math lol. should be a fun course though

realitycheck1

Forum Ride Along
If Stephen Williams is still teaching there, I recommend waiting until he retires. In my short experience listening to him "teach," I've concluded that your time is better spent at some other school.

I graduated from USC and I'm now attending medical school. For anyone else who has attended any college level course at a decent college, you will sit through his "lectures" and want to tear your hair out. There is about 2% substance, and 98% random rants in an abnormally slow cadence. He treats the students as though they were kindergarteners, repeatedly telling us that "this is not like anything you've done before" and urging us to change our study habits.

The paramedic precourse at Mt Sac used to be SIGNIFICANTLY shorter. They've extended it a couple of times, and now they have many more hours of prep course than they know what to do with. Sure, it's one of the cheaper options, especially if you can get financial aid for the course. Just don't expect to actually learn anything if this guy is still teaching. You'll learn on your own, and if you have the patience to sit through his 8 hour random ramblings, then you're set. Otherwise, do something more productive with your time. The rest of this post is just a taste of what a day will be like with Stephen.

On the first day of the prep course, he arrived 30 minutes late, stating that students usually show up late, so he didn't want to start teaching until everyone was there. I let that one slide. He then started talking about everything except what was relevant to becoming a paramedic, which included: rambling on about Mt. Sac's president, registering problems, parking/tickets, fire captains hating students, something about Gaelic, and having a question and answer session for idiots that in itself lasted 20 minutes. Finally, he started talking about the course. However, instead of jumping right into the materials, he spoke for 1 hour about what the course will cover. As though we are not capable of reading a syllabus ourselves? Next, he talked about an orientation flier for 30 minutes. A great use of our time.

Finally we got started on some vocabulary words. Fine. He slowly starts going around the room picking people to guess what each word means. As some struggle through the terms that they've never seen before, he just sits there waiting...time spent: another 1.5 hours. Vocabulary words covered: 10-15...not exactly efficient.