moving to TX?

TXtransplantwannabe

Forum Ride Along
I'm considering a move to TX. I have a BA and NREMT-B and have worked in a couple ERs but not recently (have been working as a medical writer) and I'm wondering basically where I ought to apply. I'm thinking of San Antonio. I currently live in the Midwest and I hate the winters here. What are my chances of getting a position? Where do I look? Is here any chance of me getting hired before moving down there? (would like to be in a hospital but on a rig is OK too--I'll take whatever). What's the pay like?

My plan is to get TX residency and later apply to med school (considered medic school but I have good grades and really want to be a doctor b/c I might be interested in a different specialty besides ER (like ortho)). I have to take most of my premed prerequisites still...so I'm ideally looking for jobs that would have a straight schedule. I worked as a fast-track tech and a multi-skilled tech with both medical and trauma (level II and level I trauma centers), so I did phlebotomy, EKG tech stuff, urinanalysis/pregnancy testing, splinting using OrthoGlass, etc etc and am looking for a position that ideally allows me to do the same stuff as before.

I'm moving from Chicago. Any pitfalls, companies to watch out for, or issues in getting a TX EMT-B cert?

Mrs. G

Forum Probie
Just wondering how did this go for you? Where you able to find a job easily?

I am in the plans to move to Texas in the next 2 years and also wanted to stick to my medical career. Was just wondering how things have gone for you.

I have heard Texas has some of the best medical school in the US..