Moving to FL, .Q. about my MO license and how to obtain a FL one. Ambulance Dist....

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
So I am moving due to family reason to Florida! North port to be exact to take care of my dying grandparents! I currently live in MO. I have no clue on how to go about finding a job down there! What I need to do, do I need to go through another EMT coarse, or just take there practical test. And if so, where do I do that? Basically I am clueless at where to get started!
I also have no clue where or how to find Ambulance Dist. in that area? And if they are all Fire/EMS combined. If I would have to obtain Fire I & II before I could apply? Again I am use to driving 45 miles away for work. So if someone could let me know the surrounding Ambulance Dist. and where I need to start to getting employed in that area? And how is employment in that area?? LOLI. I work for a couple of Rural 911 agencies, so how is it like working in that area if anyone knows? Is anyone ever hiring? Or is it hard to get employed in that area?
Thanks,
Crystal

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
IIRC FL takes NREMT for reciprocity for basics.
Look here: http://www.fl-ems.com/
And I don't believe FL have an EMT-Intermediate level at all

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You're going to be in my county. I live just north of there in Sarasota.

911 EMS response is handled by the fire departments, but there a few private companies that handle IFT. There is West Coast-Southern Med Services and Ambitrans. Since I don't work EMS anymore I can't give you any specifics about them.

You are also very close to Charlotte county and they run pretty much the same system - fire based EMS for 911 response, private for IFT.

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
Chimpie-
So, I would have to go through some type of Fire Academy to get on a 911 agency?
And I use to live in Port Charlotte when I was a kid, went to Acardia High School!

And thanks JTPAINTBALL- So ur basically saying that I would not have to re-test, just send in for a Florida State License?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Chimpie-
So, I would have to go through some type of Fire Academy to get on a 911 agency?

I believe so. You'll definitely want to work IFT till you get on with one of the fire departments. Sarasota County just interviewed and tested a couple hundred people for five volunteer positions. And with recent budget cuts the likelihood of any mass hire won't happen soon.

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
Here's the state website that has most of the questions you probably have. Florida DOH

I'm not too familiar with the area, but I think the only non-IFT places to work would be to the south at Lee County EMS (probably not hiring though) and to the north in Pinellas County at Sunstar EMS. Orlando has Rural/Metro that does 911, but that's probably too far away.

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
I believe so. You'll definitely want to work IFT till you get on with one of the fire departments. Sarasota County just interviewed and tested a couple hundred people for five volunteer positions. And with recent budget cuts the likelihood of any mass hire won't happen soon.

Do you know where I could obtain information for a fire academy close by?
And what is usually a starting pay for EMT's or EMT/FF?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
14. What about reciprocity with other states?

A.Florida does not have reciprocity with any US state, territory, possession, or the NREMT.

So does this mean I will have to re-test in order to obtain a FL state license?
Like a written, or practicals? Or both?
This is all so confusing!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
14. What about reciprocity with other states?

A.Florida does not have reciprocity with any US state, territory, possession, or the NREMT.

So does this mean I will have to re-test in order to obtain a FL state license?
Like a written, or practicals? Or both?
This is all so confusing!

You might wanna call FL EMS. I know on the NREMT reciprocity map it shows that NREMT-B is required for initial certification at the BAsic level in FL

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
2. I'm certified in another state, how do I become certified?

A. An EMT or Paramedic who was out-of-state trained or received their training on a military installation is eligible to take the Florida certification examination provided. The training was in accordance with the U.S. DOT National Standard Curriculum and the certification is in good standing.

* An application (doc - 134kb)
* A current copy of your state or NREMT certification
* A Statement of Good Standing (DH Form 1164) (pdf - 95kb) completed by the authority that issued the certification.
* A copy of your course completion certificate.

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
OK, so I have to take a test for the State Licensed, which I have heard some people say that its is a lot hardier the NREMT! :(

But I will do what I have to do!!

Thanks you two