Moving out of state and recertification

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I am a NY certified EMT who is moving to Michigan this summer and will remain there for at least 4 years. My certification expires in approximately two years.

I was planning to participate in a 3-day course that would provide all of the CME's needed to re-cert. First question:

Would these CME's be good 2 years from now? Or are they required to be within a closer time period to the end of certification?

Second question: I believe it is required that I "continuously" practice. I also believe that one can sign up for the national exam, walk in, and take it. This would allow me to work/volunteer in Michigan, correct? Then with my completed CME's, I could recert in? New York? Or nationally? My guess is just New York

At this point, I am most concerned if I should head in to this 3-day course tomorrow or save my time.

Thank you

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Geez, dead forum!

So I skipped out on the class, which is a shame, because it is to my understanding that it would have counted for the national certification. Bummer!

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I don't know about NY or MI but just remembr national registry is NOT a license to practice ANYWHERE. You must obtain a state cert wherever you want to work.

That being said, having nat reg sure makes it easier to move about and get reciprocity.