Mother, juggs and speed movie ??

ollie

Forum Crew Member
Is anyone selling or have one to sell, mother juggs and speed great movie i want to watch pm me if you do :)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Is anyone selling or have one to sell, mother juggs and speed great movie i want to watch pm me if you do :)

Ahh, the movie that set EMT's reputation in stone. Funny, tragic and a poor representation all rolled into one classic flick.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Ahh, the movie that set EMT's reputation in stone. Funny, tragic and a poor representation all rolled into one classic flick.

Keep in mind that movie was made in the seventies. EMS was quite different back then. EMT/Paramedics is more of a late 70's early 80's development in many major cities. Back in the ol days it was a grab and haul.
You should check out episode 1 of Emergency.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

I think it is one of the most accurate representations of EMS even still.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Keep in mind that movie was made in the seventies. EMS was quite different back then. EMT/Paramedics is more of a late 70's early 80's development in many major cities. Back in the ol days it was a grab and haul.

The truth is, it was like that until around 1983 in California, Santa Barbara County to be exact! I'm talking about Ambulance Wars. Remember, just because Squad 51 was paramedic didn't mean paramedic programs were widespread. Some are just starting today!

It was actually worse in the 1980's because many service areas were Mom and Pops who really didn't see the need to go through all that training and buy that equipment just to do something they've been doing for the community for 20 years quite effectively, thank you very much; Load and Go!

The county was fine with whatever, but the paramedics who couldn't cross a territorial line to treat when they were right on top of the incident had to do most of the squawking to get paramedic services standardized throughout the county.

M, J, & S was accurate for its times and for many areas way beyond that time, just as EMERGENCY! was for its times and beyond, even to, most recently Bringing Out the Dead, but you know what; the times they are a changin'!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
perspective

M, J, & S was accurate for its times and for many areas way beyond that time, just as EMERGENCY! was for its times and beyond, even to, most recently Bringing Out the Dead, but you know what; the times they are a changin'!

The battles are the same only the names have changed.

Now instead of Joe Shmoe vs. Freddie Farmbeats ambulance it is

Public safety vs. Public health

Education vs. technical

Fire vs. 3rd service vs. private

Professional vs. volunteer

There are lines in the sand, political manipulation, a very large and powerful movement against higher education and treatment standards.

There is no front, no rear, your friend today can be your enemy tomorrow. The interest of the patient and the public is secondary to the interest of those "providing service."

There is spin and sugar coating, coercing, propaganda, deception, and the standard labor union strong-arming.

I maintain my position M, J & S is the most accurate account of US EMS ever. To this very day.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I maintain my position M, J & S is the most accurate account of US EMS ever. To this very day.
hmmmm.... I am not how YOUR EMS system is but I have yet to see some one like Bill Cosby slashing another ambulance companies tires after drinking and driving on duty in my EMS system.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I had it once, lost it when my hard drive crashed, bugger.

Man if only I could work with a black dude named Mother who has an afro, drinks from a hip flask and carries a 357 Magnum in the glove box ....

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

Man if only I could work with a black dude named Mother who has an afro, drinks from a hip flask and carries a 357 Magnum in the glove box ....

Lol. Great post.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
hmmmm.... I am not how YOUR EMS system is but I have yet to see some one like Bill Cosby slashing another ambulance companies tires after drinking and driving on duty in my EMS system.

How about telling the local municipality they can provide ambulance transport cheaper than the 3rd service or priate company and use the revenue generated to "supplement" the same municipality?

How about The local ambulance service being absorbed into an almost useless fire department (because they barely have any fire suppression activity in 2010) in order to pad the run books to justify jobs?

Have you seen the latest professional vs union legislation the IAFF put out?

Have you seen the initiative in Louisianna to take punitive authority away from the state EMS commission because it was "too hard on municiple services?"

Have you seen stuf like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-rO6RGVCk

Have you seen ambulance companies like Rural Metro, AMR, and even Acadian try to underbid or "out service" each other as they compete for contracts?

Have you not seen the headlines with poorly trained providers, almost weekly ambulance crashes because of "emergent responses," air medical crashes in areas saturated with them to make a dollar?

There may not be some guy slashing tires, but the metaphor is alive and well.

I can assure you responders going on calls intoxicated or under the influence of some mind altering substance happens all the time. We even see responders caught stealing credit cards, cash, medications and other valuables from patients on a semi annual basis.

When was the last time you saw the volunteer fire/ems lobby demand more training and higher care standards?

When was the last time a private ambulance wanted more oversight into its operations in the name of patient care and safety?

Sounds like you need to get out more or open your eyes.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It's a metaphor

The story told was very specific to the times, but it accurately described the "territory underneath" many of the pressures, class and sexual distinctions, agency rivalries, macho competition, sensitivity, callousness and danger that "live" in the field and in all of us.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain

+1, Bill Cosby was the man in that movie , except I'd want my back watched by someone carrying a .45

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Check out Emergency?? I grew up in the 60's and 70's. I've seen every episode several times over. Some shows are just meant to remain classics. ^_^

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I was speaking quite literally about the specific actions and antics portrayed in the 1970's comedy staring Bill Cosby. (not a documentary of modern EMS) Just to clear that up... I was not using a metaphor or looking deeper into this. It is from this standpoint I can tell you I have never seen someone packing a gun at work, drinking while driving the ambulance, or slashing another ambulances tires in todays day and age.
Sounds like you need to get out more or open your eyes.
Sounds like you need to lighten up more :)
PS: I get what your saying about the politics, especially between private companies competing and the fire debt using EMS. I think most of us are frustrated about that and some of the other things you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Check out Emergency?? I grew up in the 60's and 70's. I've seen every episode several times over. Some shows are just meant to remain classics. ^_^

Some days I can't help but feel like Johnny and Roy running around with thirty to forty kgs of equipment!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have worked with people who felt compelled to bring a concealed firearm to work in EMS.

Can't say that I have ever really seen the need, but the people involved were very scared and pretty certain it was a reasonable precaution.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have worked with people who felt compelled to bring a concealed firearm to work in EMS.

Can't say that I have ever really seen the need, but the people involved were very scared and pretty certain it was a reasonable precaution.

In addition to that, there are some pretty backwoods posters on this forum also like that one guy with "REDNECK" in his screen name.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In addition to that, there are some pretty backwoods posters on this forum also like that one guy with "REDNECK" in his screen name.

I think they were more concerned about the homophobic coworkers. One of the people wouldn't tell anyone at the station where he lived.