mental difficulty

jetsfan925

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I am thinking about becoming an emt-b, not really looking to go any further in the near future. Im 19 years old and looking to work for our school's ems, and i would like some good training before i start. both my parents are doctors, and they both are behind me. I am pretty confident I can learn all the material, and i play college football so i am not really worried about the physical strain on the body from this job that some people have talked about; I am just worried about having to deal with a big problem that a patient may have while i am working on the job. I dont know if i will be able to handle it mentally, and i dont really know how i will react. Im nervous that i will pretty much freeze up.

i was wondering if you have any advice for me (what to do about it, and whether a career in medicine is even possible for me (i am premed right now, but im not sure)), and also if anyone else has been in this situation when starting out.

thanks so much for your help-its much appreciated

Diver911

Forum Probie
What do you know about the profession? I am not sure about your location, is it possible to do a ride along or shadow someone and see if this is something you would enjoy...

How do you handle stressful situations? This job is thinking on your feet and making decisions during stressful situations.. decisions that save peoples lives or if you make the wrong decision, it is one that could take someone’s life.

My advice is go on a ride along, talk to your local EMS department and get a feel for the profession, then make an educated decision on what you want to do... my 0.2 cents worth anyway...

MedicDoug

Forum Crew Member
UCLA EMS offers ride-alongs, I think. Give it a try. And don't forget that EVERYBODY gets nervous... even EMTs and medics with thousands of patient contacts... a little dread is good!
Also, college EMS providers are a great way to "give something back" while learning a lot about yourself. Not everybody is cut out for this life, though. If you decide it's not for you, perhaps now would be the time to find out, rather than after med school...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hi, I am thinking about becoming an emt-b, not really looking to go any further in the near future. Im 19 years old and looking to work for our school's ems, and i would like some good training before i start. both my parents are doctors, and they both are behind me. I am pretty confident I can learn all the material, and i play college football so i am not really worried about the physical strain on the body from this job that some people have talked about; I am just worried about having to deal with a big problem that a patient may have while i am working on the job. I dont know if i will be able to handle it mentally, and i dont really know how i will react. Im nervous that i will pretty much freeze up.

i was wondering if you have any advice for me (what to do about it, and whether a career in medicine is even possible for me (i am premed right now, but im not sure)), and also if anyone else has been in this situation when starting out.

thanks so much for your help-its much appreciated

If you can handle UCLA football, you can handle serious calls. When you train well, you perform well. You don't really get caught in the blood and guts stuff. You just get it done.

OP
OP
J

jetsfan925

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the advice guys, i think im gonna go for it, at least to see how it goes

once again, thanks, this forum is awesome, im really happy i found it

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
My advice is go on a ride along, talk to your local EMS department and get a feel for the profession, then make an educated decision on what you want to do... my 0.2 cents worth anyway...

No better place to start

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'd suggest that you do a ride along or 2 before you commit to taking the class... but don't be to afraid. You will see some horrible things, and you will also see some really cool things.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Many places are no longer allowing "ride alongs" with the privacy issue, potential litigation of injuries and dangers of the job. Seriously, there is enough television documentaries that demonstrate our purpose and main job, albeit they show more action in 30 minutes than most will work in a week.

R/r 911