medics can amputate?

hangit

Forum Crew Member
this is from a story in so. fla. where two divers were hit by a boat, one died, one survived.

"Somehow, Pino said, the Paradise Found passed over Araujo and Lanza, injuring Araujo so bad that paramedics later prepared to amputate his left leg from the groin down."

i've never heard of medics amputating limbs before. is this true or is it the reporter not know what he's talking about?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends. There has been field amputation due to crushing type injuries that it was the only way to remove the patient. The only time I have heard of such was in disaster settings, other than that I have assisted in field amputations performed by surgeons.

Reading little of the statement, it does sound like the wound presented an amputation. The medics treated the patient for such. Prop injuries are known for such injuries.. and reporters are known for getting things screwed up.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I would assume the reporter had no idea what she was talking about. Paramedics have been forced to do this on certain extreme cases.