Medic Program Accreditation?

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
Again..I want to state that I am a rookie at all of this so if this is a dumb questions..I apologize..I just dont know the answer.

On a previous post, someone was trying to decided between an accredited program through a community college and one through a private school.

Does the program have to be through a community college in order to ensure you can practice as a medic anywhere in the US? The programs out here in RI allow you to take the NREMT exam and I thought that if it was allowed by the NREMT..then it would allow you to practice in any state..provided you get thier license when needed.

Am I wrong? I thought the NREMT-P cert was good anywhere...or you have to take the state test, but doesnt really matter where you got your education as long as you go it.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No, the NREMT-P is not good everywhere, however it is good in most (95%) of places. Many states use the NREMT as their credentialing exam over having their own state test.

And no, you do not, at this current time, need to be from an accredited program, a college program, or an accredited college program. Mine was through a private institution and I got certified just fine.

However, in the very near future, the NREMT will require new grads to be from an accredited program before they will be able to be certified.