Medic Career Prospects

nubi2probi

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Ive just got a quick question, an EMT can upgrade to a paramedic. Which may then advance to a Crit Care position or Nursing correct? BUT say I got my Paramedic Cert. And wanted to advance my knowledge and abilities even more. Is it possible to take a Physician Assistant Course with full transfer credits. Or would I have to start with transfering into a nursing degree program then advance to a Physician Assistant? which i believe has a starting salary of 80K Canadian a year :)

So much depends on where there's program(s) available and how far do you want to go to be in them. There are many different approaches to advancement and different programs accept different criteria. Specify where you live and maybe someone here can get you started.

Have fun in the trenches!

Oo right I should start by saying that im up here in Alberta, Canada. Just finished my EMR, which i believe is considered EMT-B down in the states, and begin my EMT on Jan 05 as long as I get my student loan in time (crosses fingers for this week)

But from what I see, from EMT. I can take a 2 year course at NAIT and become a paramedic. From there I can transfer towards 2 years of course weight into a nursing program. And from there I plan to jump to Physician Assistant (if im fealing like a relaxed version of medicine) or Flight Nurse/ Crit Care Paramedic if im fealing like actually living a little in this life B)

Ive just got a quick question, an EMT can upgrade to a paramedic. Which may then advance to a Crit Care position or Nursing correct? BUT say I got my Paramedic Cert. And wanted to advance my knowledge and abilities even more. Is it possible to take a Physician Assistant Course with full transfer credits. Or would I have to start with transfering into a nursing degree program then advance to a Physician Assistant? which i believe has a starting salary of 80K Canadian a year :)
Not knowing anything about Canadian education and requirements for mid levels, here's my analysis based on the US system.

If you are looking at a nursing route, the mid level provider that you're going to want to look at is a nurse practitioner. It doesn't make very much sense to go EMT-P->RN->PA. EMT-P->RN->NP would work better, but the question that's going to get asked is, "Why go paramedic in the first place?"

If you are looking at a PA, the first thing to realize is that the vast majority of PA programs (as well as the trend that they are pushing towards) are a masters level graduate degree. Unless your paramedic program includes several of the prereqs as stand alone college level classes, then chances of using a paramedic education to cut out time is probably slim. For example, the prereqs for the PA school at the university I currently attend includes anatomy (/w lab), algebra, college level English, microbiology, general chemistry, genetics, psych, sociology, humanities, and statistics. It is kinda of ironic that the prereqs for the PA school is more specific that the prereqs for the medical school even though there's almost the same number of units required in terms of prereqs (45 v 44). Also, technically speaking, most medical schools don't require an undergrad degree (90 units of course work is essentially the universal requirement), however good luck getting into a med school without one.

If you're interested in the mid level route, my suggestion is to start working on it now. Not all PA schools require health care experience, however most paramedic programs are going to do little to help you knock out the prereqs for PA school.

Back