measuring EMS

Veneficus

Forum Chief
On another tread there was a brief off topic discussion about measuring the effectiveness of an EMS system.

It is my long held beleif that the future of EMS rests not with transporting to the hospital every patient who calls for help, but public health, public outreach, and providing an appropriate medical response and disposition which may or may not involve the ED (A&E)

I came to this crazy idea because I recognize the need for it. I also recognize that uner current US reimbursement policy, such efforts are not funded.

However, believing that a society that pays to increase its own health (even locally) sees an economic benefit, I speculate it would save considerable money.

The Scottish were kind enough to provide some numbers today to back up this theory.

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/article.jsp?id=14685&siteSection=1

"Last year 57,560 patients were dealt with under the "See and Treat" initiative used by the Scottish Ambulance Service (SAS) - up 8,332 (16.9 per cent) on the previous year.

Reducing the numbers going to A&E and being admitted to hospital is estimated to save the NHS around GBP13 million a year. But the SAS insisted that audits of the system showed it was not having a negative effect on patient care, and that those who needed hospital treatment were still taken to A&E."

For the noninternationally inclined that is a savings of $20,320,299.74 a year at today's exchange rate on 57,560 calls.

It works out to a savings of: $3530.27 per patient per year, if 16.9% of your patients could be treated/not transported or treated and released.

Given your current call volume or patient census, using those numbers as a base, how much would your agency be looking at?

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
In a our rural system, that comes out to $4,772,560.00.

That's a little more than half of the entire budget for the county, if my math is right.

Is this counting the money saved in the hospital, also?

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In a our rural system, that comes out to $4,772,560.00.

That's a little more than half of the entire budget for the county, if my math is right.

Is this counting the money saved in the hospital, also?

Based on the wording of the article, I am guessing yes.

(NHS is the national health service)

But they have the only numbers I am aware of available so I just extrapolated "your local system." Don't forget that is cost, not revenue.

Big numbers though as you can see.

NorCal

Forum Crew Member
I have to admit that system is a great idea.

reaper

Working Bum
It is a great concept and many places have tried something close. Some work and some fail. Biggest obstacle to it in the U.S. is not the funding, it is the legal aspect. Not many MD's are willing to chance a treat and release. the lawsuits start flying and everyone loses. Scottland most likely does not have the sue happy public that America does. If the government wants to provide protection against all, but plain gross neg. Then it may work.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
It is a great concept and many places have tried something close. Some work and some fail. Biggest obstacle to it in the U.S. is not the funding, it is the legal aspect. Not many MD's are willing to chance a treat and release. the lawsuits start flying and everyone loses. Scottland most likely does not have the sue happy public that America does. If the government wants to provide protection against all, but plain gross neg. Then it may work.

I think in the USA, at least, to save money, bring the patient and the cost cutting to the hospital.

They should audit and tinker with administrative salaries and spending.

Reaper hit it head on. And it is not just the lawsuits, removing the MD from the treatment process is a diservice to the patient !

Shut down all ambulances and hospitals then....to save money....make people fend for themselves to 'save money.'

Not to jack the thread, but legalize, tax and regulate all drugs and there is your $ for health care....

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Shut down all ambulances and hospitals then....to save money....make people fend for themselves to 'save money.'

That is how the US has been operating my entire life and before. It doesn't seem to be working.

As for removing the doctor, it would be great if every patient saw a doctor. There would be no need for PAs and NPs.

However, there are more people seeking healthcare than doctors. In the US, seeing the right doctor is just as important as seeing A doctor because of the hyperspecialization.

Last edited by a moderator:

teej

Forum Ride Along
I know in Saskatchewan (and possibly Alberta?) there has at least been discussion (not sure if they've moved the idea forward any further) of changing the system from EMS to MHS (Mobile Health Services), which will include a "treat and refer" policy.