Massachusetts Practical Retest please help

Hopeful emt

Forum Ride Along
I have an interesting situation.... I got my emt basic license four years ago but let it expire because I was out of state for school and it was hard to keep going. Now that I am living in Mass again, I want to get my license back.

I have already applied to take the practical exam, I just need to pick a date. Expired licenses have a grace year to reapply.

I found skill sheets online for the 2009 practical exam, but I'm worried they might be out of date... Especially the resuscitation and defibrillation station and CPR - the cardiac arrest one. I think the others are probably okay. Im just really worried about the CPR station now because I don't think I have the right steps or updated order.

Does anyone know what major changes were made to the Mass practical exam stations? I just want to make sure I'm studying the right thing.

Do you think a training school would let me use their equipment to refresh myself? I'm a little nervous....

Thank you so much!!!

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
If you do not test before July 1st you have to take the nremt. I took my medic practical in February for MA and now since I won't take my written before July I have to take the nremt written. I know you said just came back to Mass. If you have the nremt just wait until July and you will just have to pay the fee.

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
AHA 2010 guidelines state compressions have to be => 100/pm, believe 3" depth for adult and 2" for infant. in one rescuer CPR after your 30 compressions you have 8 seconds, maybe its 10 to position head, give 2 breaths and begin compressions again. Feel for carotid pulse no more then 10 seconds then begin compressions if no carotid pulse present. dont think im missing anything.

As for MassEMT-B, mass is not switching to NREMT until January 1, 2014. Starting the testing now, but not accepting NREMT licenses until 2014. IF he went your suggestion he would have to wait until January 2014 to get that ball rolling.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
AHA 2010 guidelines state compressions have to be => 100/pm, believe 3" depth for adult and 2" for infant. in one rescuer CPR after your 30 compressions you have 8 seconds, maybe its 10 to position head, give 2 breaths and begin compressions again. Feel for carotid pulse no more then 10 seconds then begin compressions if no carotid pulse present. dont think im missing anything.

As for MassEMT-B, mass is not switching to NREMT until January 1, 2014. Starting the testing now, but not accepting NREMT licenses until 2014. IF he went your suggestion he would have to wait until January 2014 to get that ball rolling.

Sorry, MA OEMS disagrees. http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/depar...national-registry-for-massachusetts-emts.html Look at July 1, 2013 what does it mean and look at reciprocity. It says current nremt don't need to take a practical or written. I was wrong though. If your a basic applicant you take the current mass practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

Hopeful emt

Forum Ride Along
Hey thank you for your answers! I actually don't have a national license, but I just learned of the switcheroo recently for Mass. I believe I'll probably have to take the Mass practical and national written. It's a little confusing...

I have to take the practical exam before October anyway, since I'm going the expired license route. I had to reapply in April, but was in school until June, have six months total to pass.

Does anyone know where I could obtain updated skill sheets for the Mass practical? I tried looking online but to no avail. I would be willing to pay for access to them but I don't even know how that would work. Especially for CPR... I just want to make sure I have the correct order down. I think some changes were made to the order of ABC's and when to start compressions... Not confident about that though. I was trying to compare and match up 2009 CPR skill sheets with a mass CPR emt video made for 2010 guidelines on YouTube. The order doesn't quite match up.

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know where I could obtain updated skill sheets for the Mass practical? I tried looking online but to no avail. I would be willing to pay for access to them but I don't even know how that would work. Especially for CPR... I just want to make sure I have the correct order down. I think some changes were made to the order of ABC's and when to start compressions... Not confident about that though. I was trying to compare and match up 2009 CPR skill sheets with a mass CPR emt video made for 2010 guidelines on YouTube. The order doesn't quite match up.

Thank you!!

I must be beyond confused about the NREMT and MA thing, have to look into it more...but regarding your CPR questions, if it is in the 2010 AHA Guidelines, that will be the way they test you. CAB vs. ABC, which one? 2009 may say one, 2010 the other. I've only known 2010 guidelines, but in my prvious post I outlined some changes from the video we watched in our recert.

This is the 2010 AHA skill sheet. One rescuer and two rescuer, adult and infant:

http://www.ptc.edu/sites/default/fi...saver CPR-AED Skill Sheet 2010 Guidelines.pdf