Massachuetts places hiring/Information needed?

Gray

Forum Lieutenant
Reaction score
Hello everyone, The last post on this topic seems to be a month old and would like to get some updated information.

I will start my classes next week at Northeastern University. I am currently living in Boston and will be moving to the North Shore this summer. I am trying to get a feel on what the job market is like at this time. I will be able to go full time as this is a career change and I am in my mid 30's.

Also, as a side note would the fact that I am in my thirties help me land a EMT-B job or hurt it in your opinion.

Thank you for the help you may offer me.

- Gray

Hello everyone, The last post on this topic seems to be a month old and would like to get some updated information.

I will start my classes next week at Northeastern University. I am currently living in Boston and will be moving to the North Shore this summer. I am trying to get a feel on what the job market is like at this time. I will be able to go full time as this is a career change and I am in my mid 30's.

Also, as a side note would the fact that I am in my thirties help me land a EMT-B job or hurt it in your opinion.

- Gray

Over-saturated is an understatement as far as the emt-b population in MA

Last edited by a moderator:

- Gray

The area is definitely over saturated. I'd recommend putting in applications at just about every company you can, and see who is hiring at that moment, as the industry seems to have a high amount of turn over. From what I have gathered, you would probably have the best chance getting on with a company that is primarily IFT, as 911 tends to be more competitive. Gain some experience working on an ambulance doing IFT, then either move to a 911 company, stay in your current role if you are happy there, or possibly move on to get your medic/RN/other degree. It also seems that with some of the more competitive companies, you almost need to know someone influential that works there to have a shot getting a job. as for age, as long as you are able to physically and mentally handle the job, it shouldn't be an issue. If you act professionally, it would probably be looked at as an advantage, as certain people would automatically trust you over some 18 year old, just out of high school EMT

Thank you for the responses. I do have 2 years driving for G.L.S.S. so I have some of the IFT training, wheel chair lockdowns etc. My plan is to get the 6 month experience needed (IFT or otherwise) and go to school to become a medic.

What do the companys around here usually do for shifts? 12 hr, 24 hr shifts?

The job pool is over saturated as the others have said, however there are jobs out there. Its just about sending out apps and making an impression. I went through the Northeastern program and many of the TAs work for different ambulance services in the area. They'll make for good contacts and recommendations on what companies are always hiring. Best of Luck!

Thank you for the responses. I do have 2 years driving for G.L.S.S. so I have some of the IFT training, wheel chair lockdowns etc. My plan is to get the 6 month experience needed (IFT or otherwise) and go to school to become a medic.

What do the companys around here usually do for shifts? 12 hr, 24 hr shifts?

varies by company.

Also if your looking into EMS as a career path rather than an additional job, just go straight from EMT-B to medic school. The old age way of thinking is getting experience in the field than going to medic school, but ive heard from most medics that clinicals will give you the experience you need.

Thank you Rwik. Northeastern says I need 6 months of experiance to get into their Paramedic program. I'll check and see if clinicals would get me there as well.

Thank you Rwik. Northeastern says I need 6 months of experiance to get into their Paramedic program. I'll check and see if clinicals would get me there as well.

yeah i took my basic at NU...look around at different paramedic programs in the area..pro ems ect

Will do Rwik. Thank you all for the info. Hope your all having a good Monday.

The best advice I've heard is to walk in your application, even if you can submit it electronically. The place I got hired on at didn't have an online application, so I was more or less required to.

In your case, 30-something as well as 2 years of patient care should definitely both work for your advantage. In addition, full-time jobs are easier to land and therefore your availability should also help

The best advice I've heard is to walk in your application, even if you can submit it electronically. The place I got hired on at didn't have an online application, so I was more or less required to.

Couldn't agree more. Particularly if you're going to be on the north shore, consider applying to:

Cataldo/Atlantic
Armstrong
Lyons
Action
AMR
Guardian ??
Trinity
Patriot
Northshore
Lifeline

Coincidently, I also took the NEU class... although I haven't returned since. I now work (teach) for two of their competitors, and am very happy with the foundation I got there.

Couldn't agree more. Particularly if you're going to be on the north shore, consider applying to:

Cataldo/Atlantic
Armstrong
Lyons
Action
AMR
Guardian ??
Trinity
Patriot
Northshore
Lifeline

Coincidently, I also took the NEU class... although I haven't returned since. I now work (teach) for two of their competitors, and am very happy with the foundation I got there.

Just noticed an issue with your list of companies. Unless there is another north shore I am unaware of. What used to be north shore folded. Cataldo bought up the assets, and pretty much turned north shore's territory into their Atlantic division. Perhaps you meant northeast out of Middleton/Beverly.

varies by company.

Also if your looking into EMS as a career path rather than an additional job, just go straight from EMT-B to medic school. The old age way of thinking is getting experience in the field than going to medic school, but ive heard from most medics that clinicals will give you the experience you need.

Sure it will. Just as going to paramedic school will give you all the knowledge you need to be a paramedic.

varies by company.

While I have heard the same thing from some medics, I would have to disagree. I think NEU is pretty lax on the whole 6 months basic experience needed. I would recommend a solid year of FT experience. While BLS can easily be done by the zero-hero courses that fly through EMT-b (seeing as it's essentially a longer version of an advanced first aid course, it is a whole different ball game once you get into invasive procedures. Out of the medics that have told me that going straight to medic after getting your b card is the better way, I would only let one of them treat me, and that's assuming I'm unconscious when they arrive on scene. Like I said to someone a while back, I would rather hop on one foot the 3 miles to the closest ED after a traumatic amputation than be treated by just about all of the zero -> medics i have met.

While I have heard the same thing from some medics, I would have to disagree. I think NEU is pretty lax on the whole 6 months basic experience needed. I would recommend a solid year of FT experience. While BLS can easily be done by the zero-hero courses that fly through EMT-b (seeing as it's essentially a longer version of an advanced first aid course, it is a whole different ball game once you get into invasive procedures. Out of the medics that have told me that going straight to medic after getting your b card is the better way, I would only let one of them treat me, and that's assuming I'm unconscious when they arrive on scene. Like I said to someone a while back, I would rather hop on one foot the 3 miles to the closest ED after a traumatic amputation than be treated by just about all of the zero -> medics i have met.

Did you hijack my account or something? :P

Did you hijack my account or something? :P

Nope. Just a like minded basic in MA. On another note, if anyone hijacked an account, wouldn't it be more logical that it was you that hacked mine, since it was my account that posted? It's kind of a small world actually. I met you and Kelly Grayson briefly back in march @ carabbas in Peabody. I jokingly said something along the lines that since I was having so much trouble getting a job on an ambulance as a basic, I should just go to one of those zero to hero medic courses. You and Kelly both said I should try to get some experience under my belt. So that I'd know what sick people actually looked like. It was too bad I had to leave for another engagement before the storytelling got really interesting.

Nope. Just a like minded basic in MA. On another note, if anyone hijacked an account, wouldn't it be more logical that it was you that hacked mine, since it was my account that posted? It's kind of a small world actually. I met you and Kelly Grayson briefly back in march @ carabbas in Peabody.

I really have to meet this other guy. Everyone seems to think I'm him.

Back