Maryland Reciprocity - Updated question

emtvirus

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I am a NREMT-P and looking to gain reciprocity in Maryland and having quite a hard time with it. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this or has any advice for me?

I know you have to be affiliated with a service to get your actual license, but I have been informed by a service in the area that I can go and complete the protocol review class and test to get some sort of letter stating that I meet the minimum requirements set by the state so I can then become employed and gain my license that way. Does anyone know about this either?

Any help anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.. my wife is in the military and I really need to get this done or we are going to be forced apart once again :/.

Thanks again

EMS49393

Forum Captain
You have to be affiliated to get a protocol review and be eligible to test and obtain licensure. I'm going through the same thing myself currently. I volunteer which gives me the affiliation. Hopefully a job will follow shortly.

Plenty of volunteer companies in MD will take on a paramedic and get you what you need for a minimum monthly time commitment. It's worth it if you want to eventually work in the state.

18G

Paramedic
So how does that work if you get hired say in Montgomery County, Frederick County, Anne Arundal, etc? They hire you and than you start the process of getting your Maryland license?

EMS49393

Forum Captain
They provide affiliation and a protocol review. MIEMSS tests Tuesday and Thursday. You'd be finished well before you were through the academy.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah, I'm bumping a prehistoric thread. It's cool. I'm kinda a big deal around here.

I'm a NR medic. Can I go to MD as "just" a basic? (take the BLS refresher, etc)
What happens if I affiliate with an ALS department (like a County department), and obtain initial certification as a medic, but don't go through precepting? Can I function as a BLS provider? Will it cause issues with renewal?

As of right now, I'm flirting with the idea of applying for a medic job in MD... but I'm not sure I'm going to go down that road just yet. I have no desire at this time to dedicate a month of full-time ride time to get signed off as a medic, when I will likely not be even riding as a volunteer medic.

So... Anyone able to help me?

Last edited by a moderator: