MAP Question

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I think in one of the posts that got lost this ended up being related to a nursing school question.

If that was correct then you probably won't win, and understand that an instructor who probably has no critical care background doesn't really appreciate the clinical significance anyway. The reality is that most nurses have zero critical care experience, and that follows into nursing schools.
This is the "question" I was replying to. There are plenty of CC-experienced nurses teaching nursing students. I had 4 at my school. And there are plenty of others in the other schools here.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
This is the "question" I was replying to. There are plenty of CC-experienced nurses teaching nursing students. I had 4 at my school. And there are plenty of others in the other schools here.

In my experience this has not been the case. The few that did work in critical care clearly were not very good at it, or they quite teaching in a short period of time. They are the ones who would say to look at the titration order, rather than consider the actual patient presentation. Rather nursing schools are largely staffed by nurses who are either medically unfit to work the bedside (and haven't done so in years or decades), or who don't actually like taking care of patients (which is a fundamental cornerstone of nursing).

MackTheKnife

In my experience this has not been the case. The few that did work in critical care clearly were not very good at it, or they quite teaching in a short period of time. They are the ones who would say to look at the titration order, rather than consider the actual patient presentation. Rather nursing schools are largely staffed by nurses who are either medically unfit to work the bedside (and haven't done so in years or decades), or who don't actually like taking care of patients (which is a fundamental cornerstone of nursing).
Can't argue that SOME nurses don't fit that profile, there are; but not the majority in my experience. As an RN, I precepted many student nurses whose instructors I met on the floor. A large portion were CCRNs, CENs, etc. One instructor was a DNP in Critical Care. They also taught didactics. The few slackers I met didn't last long and we're quickly let go.

Peak

I would take specialty certification with a grain of salt. I have three board certs from the BCEN and two from the AACN (our system gives us a bonus for every specialty related certification). I didn't find the CEN, adult CCRN, or peds CCRN tests to be all that difficult. We have plenty of great critical care nurses are are not specialty certified, and I know of many certified nurses who have plenty of room for professional growth.

MackTheKnife

I would take specialty certification with a grain of salt. I have three board certs from the BCEN and two from the AACN (our system gives us a bonus for every specialty related certification). I didn't find the CEN, adult CCRN, or peds CCRN tests to be all that difficult. We have plenty of great critical care nurses are are not specialty certified, and I know of many certified nurses who have plenty of room for professional growth.
I didn't find TCRN all that difficult either. However, you can always find people with credentials that you feel aren't as good as you (and yes, I do too!) On a different note, I noticed you're a PHRN. Wish my state had that.

Peak

On a different note, I noticed you're a PHRN. Wish my state had that.

It's a job thing, not a cert. I support our specialty programs outside of the hospital. Taking kids on make a wish type stuff, trying to treat our patients in the field so we don't have to transport, and on occasion supplementing either a 911 bus or one of our CCT crews for emergent/specialty transport.

My state has a liberal scope of practice for nurses, there is very little you can't do if appropriately trained. My prior experience in fire certainly doesn't hurt either.