Maine EMT-B vs Boston EMT-B

MaineEMT78

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm not exactly sure I put this in the right section, so Mods, please move this thread if I have. :)

I am an EMT-B within the State of Maine and thinking about moving to Boston. I have looked on their website and it states that a EMS license can be transferred to their state. However, talking to a few of my co-workers, they mentioned that Mass isn't apart of the National Registry because they have their own guidelines of what a Basic can and can't do.

I tried looking online to see what Basic can do under a Mass license, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

In Maine, A basic can't start an IV or do any type of airway management besides an oral Oropharyngeal airway. Is there some where on the web, where I can find what a Boson EMT-B is allowed to do and what they can't? I am looking to see if it matches up to Maine.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I'm not exactly sure I put this in the right section, so Mods, please move this thread if I have. :)

I am an EMT-B within the State of Maine and thinking about moving to Boston. I have looked on their website and it states that a EMS license can be transferred to their state. However, talking to a few of my co-workers, they mentioned that Mass isn't apart of the National Registry because they have their own guidelines of what a Basic can and can't do.

I tried looking online to see what Basic can do under a Mass license, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

In Maine, A basic can't start an IV or do any type of airway management besides an oral Oropharyngeal airway. Is there some where on the web, where I can find what a Boson EMT-B is allowed to do and what they can't? I am looking to see if it matches up to Maine.

Thanks in advance.

It's not anything special. There are statewide EMS protocols in MA that the majority of the service's adopt as their own. The protocols themselves are fairly conservative, and I did not find much different between the MA state test and the NREMT test. Perhaps the biggest difference is Nasal Naloxone is on BLS standing orders in MA if your service provides it. Other than that, we aren't Texas or Colorado, that's for sure.

Statewide protocols are here.

Awesome! Thanks. :-)

They don't look to different from what we are allowed to do up here. :-)

Back