Looking for Some Career Advice (SE Florida)...

Jaygray

Forum Ride Along
This is my first post. I'm hoping to bounce my thoughts off you folks to see if my career goals are realistic. Please take a moment to read and any honest opinions would be appreciated...

I'm 35 years old and looking for a career change. I have been a project manager in the construction industry for several years and have done relatively well financially, however, the industry isn't what it used to be, and I'm ready for a change--even if it involves a pay cut. My wife and I are fortunate enough to have a little money saved up, so I could be in a position to go back to school for a bit and start over with something new. There is an accredited local college that offers a two year A.S. degree in EMS. I already have an A.S. in another field, so several of my academic credits would transfer over. I'd only need to take the technical courses.

From what I've read online, being over 30 greatly limits my options in terms of becoming a firefighter in SE Florida. However, I am considering becoming an EMS Paramedic instead. I like the idea of helping people, and the "firefighter schedule" (24 on/48 off and similar variations) appeals to me. I could see myself working for a police or fire dept as a paramedic. 911 calls here seem to be handled exclusively by fire rescue. I don't know of any volunteer depts. I believe they are all paid. My preference would definitely be responding to 911 calls as opposed to working for a private company.

I live in an urban area midway between Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach right on the county line. The two counties together have a population of 3 million. A commute though either county could be realistic.

Does anyone know if a 35+ year old paramedic with no fire experience would have much of a shot at a obtaining a paramedic job with a fire dept in SE Florida? I get the idea that the waiting lists for firefighter jobs are ridiculous down here. Would a paramedic have a realistic shot? Or do fire depts typically take firefighters first, and then encourage them to get paramedic training?

Any advice would be helpful...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Its my understaning that one must both be a paramedic and and a trained firefighter to work 911 in the Palm Beach/Broward/Dade area. I assume that is the South East part of Florida we are looking at, right?

There is nothing wrong with becoming a paramedic at age 35. If you are in good shape, there should be nothing wrong with becoming a firefighter but you are looking at age 37 or 38 after completion. If they don't have an age restriction, go for it.

If you just become a medic, there is nothing wrong with working at a private comapny doing IFTs or workingin an ER environment as a medic.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It really depends on the department.

It is easier to hire a medic and put them through the fire academy than it is to hire a firefighter and put them through medic school. However, keep in mind that there are many out there who already have their FF and Medic certificates. So if you want to have a real shot on getting hired, get both now, before applying.

Would you consider relocating? If it is really your dream to become a Fire/Medic you might want to consider relocating outside of Florida.