Looking for more info on drugs.

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
Tonight in class we were going over substance abuse, and I was looking for a little more info. I'm really just looking to learn about different substances. Whats common and uncommon, how is it made or what is it derived from, what effects does it have (short and long term), and how its treated. I don't want to seem like a druggie or someone trying to start a meth lab, but I find this stuff interesting. Our instructor said the government's site has a lot of info on them, but I'm just not finding it. Does anyone know of a site, or a place I can find info on this without being put on some watch list (I think I may already be after posting this :p)

Heres something I thought was cool that I came across in my search. Though I bet people have seen it, its the experiment done in the 50's where they gave an artist LSD and watch him and his art change through out the high.
http://able2know.org/topic/124622-1

Thanks for any help.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
MedLinePlus is a great reference. The Physician's Desk Reference is good, too, but online access is only free if you're a med student or a prescribing health professional :(

Edit: Useful, but, oops, I should have read more carefully, and realized you meant 'illicit drugs', not USP drugs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
For general recreational drug information, try erowid.org. On the whole, it's a useful site, but ignore anything about beating drug tests and take recipes and anything else user-reported with a grain of salt.

As far as treatment, most of the time it's supportive. Benzodiazepines, opiates, and a couple other drugs have specific antagonists. More info here: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec15/ch198/ch198a.html

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
This website has some interesting information on it, however it isn't meant as a medical resource. It is more aimed towards users, or those that are curious. The information is through though, probably because most the people supplying it have done the drugs themselves. It also includes quite a bit about herbal stuff and non-typical drugs.

Edit: Bah! You beat me to it by one minute!

OP
OP
M

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
Thanks a lot. Both of those sites are great, lots of information and just what I was looking for. I never realized cocaine was such a short high, only about 5-20 mins. Its amazing to see what people are willing to do for those few minuets, and the devastating effects it can have.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Both the aforementioned erowid.org and lycaeum.org contain information that's geared more towards the "recreationally curious" than the medical professional, yet still contain gobs of information.

A lot of substance abuse stuff is categorized and simplified in EMT and drug books. My EMT book defines "magic mushrooms" as containing "psilocybin". True that may be, the psilocybe genus of mushrooms, as well as various panealous mushrooms, contain psilocybin, psilocin, beaostycin and a myriad of other chemicals. It's probably not important (I AM NOT AN EXPERT, THIS IS A LAY PERSON OPINION) to know that the 15 year old kid talking about the space aliens after eating morning glory seeds really isn't on LSD, per se, but is instead on LSA. It's interesting stuff, none the less.

Regards,
tJg

OP
OP
M

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
It's probably not important to know that the 15 year old kid talking about the space aliens after eating morning glory seeds really isn't on LSD, per se, but is instead on LSA.

Yea, to me as an EMT-B, I just have to keep him alive till he gets to the ED. I just like knowing that the 15yo that is acting drunk but doesn't smell of alcohol, may have OD'ed on cough syrup and is "robo-stoned" instead. while possibly unimportant to me driving him to the ER, its still interesting to me ^_^

I like your name thatJeffguy, lol

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Yea, to me as an EMT-B, I just have to keep him alive till he gets to the ED. I just like knowing that the 15yo that is acting drunk but doesn't smell of alcohol, may have OD'ed on cough syrup and is "robo-stoned" instead. while possibly unimportant to me driving him to the ER, its still interesting to me ^_^

I like your name thatJeffguy, lol

That's how I feel. I'm interested in the substances for their unique qualities, not because it'll change how I deal with the patients. Fortunately some interesting times in various places in my youth could put me in situations where I could express empathy and understanding with patients that have ingested specific substances and may have concerns after such substances begin to have effect. ;-)

Yea, pretty simple name. :)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
+1 on erowids. You'd be surprised what medicine doesn't know about some of the things that are out there.