looking for info on texas ems

medicman2008

Forum Probie
hey everyone,

Looking for info on Texas EMS. I would like to know of company's, pay, 911 contracts and so on. I have been a paramedic for 10 years and have my NREMT-P and my CCEMT-P. I have been working for a 911 provider in Illinois and want to move to Texas and just want some info. Also I would love to be a flight medic. Thanks everyone

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Texas is a big state. Where in Texas are you looking in particular? You can have anything from private, to third service, to FD run 911.

OP
OP
M

medicman2008

Forum Probie
I don't know where we are looking yet. Your right it is a big state. I want to be where it is warm all the time lol.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you hate snow, move south of Austin. It hasn't really snowed down here since '85 (we may get a small flurry every 5 years...). As far as systems, there are a ton of good ones. Figure out what city or area you would enjoy living in, and we can tell you the good systems in that area. There are a lot of guys from all over Texas on here, so we should be able to answer most questions you have.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Williamson County EMS has a good rep, same with San Marco/Hays EMS... If you wanted Gulf Coast, Beumont EMS is a good place from everything I have heard

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
AirLife and AirEvac are the primary HEMS units in South Texas. StarFlight is based out of Austin, but traditionally they like to specialize more in rescues and less on medical scene/IFT calls. Texas has a large amount of rural area and many small rural hospitals, so HEMS gets used quite a bit.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What about flight medics down there. Do they use them a lot

I know there are plenty of flight services. Air Methods, CareFlite, phi, and AEL all operate in Texas... Plus hospital based services

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Varies quite a bit. Smaller services will pay low to mid 30s. Some larger ones will be 50k plus, without OT. Williamson County and Austin-Travis County stand out when I think of well-paying EMS only systems.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
But one nice thing is no state tax out of your paycheck. So it can be a little raise depending what state you're from

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Again, depends on the system. There is no state protocol. Each individual medical director sets what he wants his medics to be capable of. Some are fairly standard, others can be some of the most aggressive in the country.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Most places are pretty cheap. There are exceptions of course- usually in the nicer parts of the cities (just like everywhere else). I don't know how it is in Illinois. Texas is much cheaper on average than places like CA or CO.