looking for feedback and hints

EMT trainee

Forum Probie
new to this site and not sure where to post this if moderators need to move it feel free to do so. I am currently doing an emt B course at the moment and i am looking for feedback for emt study and any hints for the course. Its so hard to get motivated to study but has to be done i know any hints would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Moved to the Education & Training Section, and made it its own thread.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I am glad I typed this up once. Copy and paste seems better than search.

This may sound smart, but it is not intended to be.

Do you know how to study? (I have found many people who come to EMS do not)

First, read the text for the big picture. After you understand it, then go back for the details.

You cannot memorize medicine. It is too large. You must understand concepts. Many students I have seen have never taken a class out of highschool before. Sometimes you must consult other published sources and the teachers don't just tell you the answers on the test.

Don't skip over things thinking you know them. You don't. I made that mistake many times myself and always paid dearly for it in lost time going back over what I thought I knew several times trying to unlearn what I thought was right and learn what really is.

Learn one, do one, teach one. After you learn something, explain it to somebody else. Significant others, younger or older family members, etc. If you can explain it and answer questions about it, you know it. If you can only identify buzzwords when you see them, you do not.

Reading...

Do not try to power through 100 pages because you can. When you read something, take a minute or so to think about what it is you read. How does it fit into what you know already? How does it connect with other facts in the chapter.

Test taking.

When taking a test, take your time. Read the question. Decide what it is asking. Then look at the answers... All of them.

Medical tests, especially the higher you go like to ask what is "more correct."
Take some time, think about usually the 2 or 3 distractors that could all be the right answer. Don't pick the first answer that looks right.

Read the question and answer you chose as a sentence. Does it sound right? If it doesn't, then it is probably not the answer.

Beware "what comes next" which means something which is usually a distractor is already done.

Do the questions you know first. Then come back for the ones that you are going to think about.

Don't worry about how many you need to get right. Make sure you get the question you are working on right.

Instructors:

Some are great. Some suck. Some know how to write a test. Some do not. In academia 75% of the class should fall into the passing range. If they don't. The problem is not the student.

Many EMS instructors have never had any formal teaching training or academic experience. Don't be taken in by war stories and think that is a good teacher. If you teacher is poor, you have to make up for it by studying extra.

What next?

Go over your test, see what you got wrong and why.

Any teacher not willing to let you see your mistakes is a fraud.

Can we set up a paypal system and thread here for my advice?

OP
OP
EMT trainee

EMT trainee

Forum Probie
cheers for the reply its just when i study nothing seems to sink in i use webs mapping to map it out and highlight the book and make it into my own words and using flashcards aswell but nothing seems to stick in for long and when i finished its totally gone or i can remember bits of it and not the rest of it. does that make sense study and me were never best of friends throughout school but did ok in the school leaving exams course goign well so far just need to find a way to remember it all :huh:

skills82

Forum Crew Member
If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend you can use them to study the skills hands on. I made flashcards on different scenarios and had my girlfriend kinda at like the issue and would let me know what the stats were as I was checking everything. It really helped on the testing.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Learn one, do one, teach one. After you learn something, explain it to somebody else. Significant others, younger or older family members, etc. If you can explain it and answer questions about it, you know it.

I think this is excellent advice, in fact I have used this method with my wife and I am sure she could pass the NREMT after all our discussions about my classwork.

Learn it, know it, teach it.

OP
OP
EMT trainee

EMT trainee

Forum Probie
thanks for all the hints much appreciated will try to use some of them with the study from tonights class and for the rest of the course many thanks again B)

skills82

Forum Crew Member
Also what helped me was becoming close friends with others in my class and we started to do a study group and you could see the grades go up with many people. If you do a study group, I noticed the a max of 5 is good.

byoung57

Forum Probie
Make sure you master time management. Don't get behind or it is very difficult to catch up. don't b afraid to ask for help. Your fellow class mates are having the SAME challenges as you are.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: