looking for a job...resume?

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
Hey folks. I'm working on my resume for EMT-B jobs (If you havent read my stuff before, I'm a newly cert'ed EMT-B in MA) and am looking over it again. I loathe resumes, as I am sure you all do too, and I redo them every year or so (or every time i have to get another job). I'm just wondering if I should just put the last few jobs (as it is now), education, certificationsm etc, OR should I be highlighting specific stuff? FOr ex, right now I'm a reservation agent for a resort company, but I was previously a social worker for about 5 years, through a few diff companies. Do I just put my last few jobs and edu & etc, or no? I hate these things! lol :p

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
The primary role of a resume, in my opinion, is (1) to provide generally accepted background information, e.g. who you are, how to contact you, your education and employment history; and (2) to accentuate the positives about you and your background. You have some flexibility with the content and format of #1 so you can accomplish #2. For example, if you were heavy on job-related experience but light on education, you'd lead with the former. Regarding experience outside of EMS, if it shows something specific about your capabilities or character, mention it. I think your background as a social worker would imply people skills -- certainly an important part of EMS. Just try to keep the whole thing to one page, and don't get hung-up on fancy fonts.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Generally accepted resume guidlelines recommend that you only include work experience directly related to the position that you are applying for. The other occupations you've held can be listed under an "other work history" heading to show additional background.