Long Distance

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I hated long distance runs..... I used to tell my dispatcher that I would do every psych transfer, 911 call, and ER discharge..... but try to keep me within the county boundaries, or at most 1 county away from our home base.....

If I'm being sent across state lines (either to Long Island or Philly), than I knew I was on someone's **** list (unless I was detailed to the CCT unit, than I knew I was being punished). but If I was sent to NYC (or somewhere close to one of the tunnels), than we were definitely enjoying a good (albeit pricey) lunch and an awesome slice of pizza.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Some longer transports can be critical; In Indiana we used to go to a small town hospital that was 75 miles one way to pick up serious to critical patients that they couldn't fly for what ever reason. My personal best was 5 IV's hanging, on a vent.
We also we to every state prison, or the hospital closest to the prisons to get prisoners and bring them to Indianapolis. 158 miles one way with a patient on a vent, nurse told dispatch that, they 'forgot' to tell us. Didn't have a transport Vent. It has been over 9 years, and I still feel like my hands are cramped over that transport. I taught the guard how to bag a patient.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Earlier this year I had to run lights and sirens for 110 miles...ER to ER transfer with PT who had a head on with a semi. Bilateral ankle FX right was open, four rib FX right side facial injury FX left hand possible pneumothorax. Bad fog stopped the chopper from flying. Our big rig ambulance went on an out of state trip that took 3 days there and back, can't remember where they went though. We get them now and then.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
My company in Indiana was setting up a trip to Reno, that I was going on if I had to bribe people to get it, but the patient got better and could fly commercially. I was bummed

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
My company in Indiana was setting up a trip to Reno, that I was going on if I had to bribe people to get it, but the patient got better and could fly commercially. I was bummed

Sheesh...what was in Reno that wasn't in 12 places between there and Indiana, let alone closer centers to the East?

Would have been a nice way to start the trip home, though...

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
It has been proven time and again people get better faster and spend less time in hospitals or rehab when they have family that visit: proven enough that insurance companies including Medicare/Medicaid will pay to transfer patients back to hospitals/rehab close to home.
That patient was a long haul trucker who has a major stroke 2300 miles from home.

Transported multiple patients all over the Midwest, from or to Indianapolis due to that. loved long distance transfers.

My company stopped asking me if I would go, they would just page me with my partner/s and address where I was going (I stopped trusting dispatch for directions)

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Working in Texas and New Mexico makes a lot of call long-distance. Ever transported seventy miles just to rendezvous with a helicopter?

PassionMedic

Forum Crew Member
While I don't condone sleeping, when I used to go on LDT's especially when it was unplanned/mandated OT, I would set alarms for every 15-20 mins if I was drowsy, to make sure I didn't doze off too far. But only on severely stable pt's.

Bring a charger, headphones, snack.

Be prepared to drive back since your partner just drove all the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Specialized

Forum Crew Member
If the LDT involves hills, make sure to eat more than a few hours in advance. I learned the hard way early Christmas day morning last December!

Cowboy

Forum Probie
Pt
Hey everyone. This is going to make a lot of you, especially those who work in rural areas or for companies that do these constantly, shake your heads in amazement.

I've been in EMS eight months and tomorrow is my first prescheduled long distance, or as I'm calling it, super long distance. You see I work in Milwaukee running BLS 911s and short local transports. The longest transports I've run to date are about an hour long. This one is projected to be about an 8 hour day so I'm going to say about a minimum of 3 hours of having the patient in our care. So I'm looking for EMSHacks, tips, and what to expect. So hit me up guys and gals!
Patient stable bring a book, let them go to sleep, and you try not to fall asleep.