LinkedIn

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Does anyone here actively use LinkedIn?

I've heard it's just as important in the business world as Facebook is for personal contacts, but my experiences is that's nothing but a way to spam people.

Thoughts?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have one... but don't actively use it. I have found JEMS connect to be more useful to me at this point.

rforsythe

Forum Probie
I use it actively in my non-EMS life, however not at all in this world. Just no EMS contacts that I know on it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
LinkedIn is a great resource for the business and finance worlds-- a way to professionally network. I have a resume profile up now, even though I'm not actively looking for jobs, and gotten some serious work inquiries as a result.
I think you get out of it what you put into it.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
For the longest time, whenever I saw "LinkedIn" written it was always in a sans-serif font and I thought the capital "I" was an actually a lower-case "L" and I had no idea what the word was. I thought it was Swedish or Dutch or something. So I never bothered with it.

See look at it in a sans-serif font and you'll see what I mean. The first is with a capital "I" and the second is with a lower-case "L":

LinkedIn
Linkedln

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
I actively use it for my corporate (non-EMS) life.
I can't really say if it helps anyone to advance professionally but it's great for getting back in touch with friends you may have lost touch with.

Interstingly (or is that sadly) it's also a great way to stay in touch with former coworkers after a massive layoff.
It's "fun" to see the way your former co-workers move on with their lives in different directions.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
LinkedIn is just an online version of the rumor mill, at least for public schools. I use it to find out who's retiring or where a new principal is hiring a bunch of new staff.

It's good for finding jobs, but I could do that just as easily by gossiping in the teacher's lounge.

harryb714

Forum Crew Member
I use it to keep in touch with former coworkers and classmates that aren't "cool" enough to be my facebook friends.