Light Buffs: FD & EMS lighting?

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Here in NY EMS can have green lights and FD can have blue. I was thinking of getting a clear light and making a sort of mylar film holder for one in blue and one in green..Anybody ever try this?

RMH4986

Forum Ride Along
ok first i've never tryed that 2nd in ct you cant run with clear pd runs blue and red fd and ems run red and clear volly fire runs blue only and volly ems runs green all emgency vechlies have to have 1 yellow light on the back. and you can only have hi/lows if you have a cert and permit. good luck tho send a vid when done i would love to see it.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
it will probably be too thin. thusly, the white light will shoot right through it, possibly becoming slightly colored but will more than likely appear white. so, when activated, it will appear your running clear/clear. better to get colored lenses.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
yea, Im from NY so I have the same problem, with which agency do you usually respond to the building more for calls? Like me I usually respond for more fire and EMS assists so i have blue grilles and a blue mini lightbar, and I usually respond to EMS only on my duty nights or some 2nd calls, so I only have a green dashlight, here is a few websites to check out,

http://www.hotshotsfire.com (a friend of mine owns this one and I have gotten a few things from him in the past)

http://www.elightbars.org (another forum but all about lighting and vehicle setups, I'm sure you can get some great advise there!)

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
yea, Im from NY so I have the same problem, with which agency do you usually respond to the building more for calls? Like me I usually respond for more fire and EMS assists so i have blue grilles and a blue mini lightbar, and I usually respond to EMS only on my duty nights or some 2nd calls, so I only have a green dashlight, here is a few websites to check out,

http://www.hotshotsfire.com (a friend of mine owns this one and I have gotten a few things from him in the past)

http://www.elightbars.org (another forum but all about lighting and vehicle setups, I'm sure you can get some great advise there!)

All of these light topics, now I am thoroughly confused...............

So volunteer EMS can only run green unless you are a firefighter then you can run red, but if you are also a boy scout then you can run purple and if you are CPR certified then you can use flashers. Do nurses get to use white???.............o.k. just kiddin'

But on a serious note, if you are only running a green dash light when responding to EMS calls, then how can side traffic and traffic behind you identify you as a pseudo-emergency vehicle? Please tell me that the states that are anal enough to tell you what color you can and can''t use, also at least has a 360 degree visibility requirement?!?!?

Please tell me that they do not allow just one light thrown up on the dashboard...........................

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
nope, one dashlight is enough, although the law technically states that you are legally allowed to have the equivilent of on teardrop dashlight, but cops honestly dont care and as long as you dont go too overboard they wont bother you

bassman1490

Forum Crew Member
hey who owns hot shots fire i saw his business cards on the lounge table. and yeah james is right we are only supposed to run one "lolliepop" light. but i was told by norton that the cops are cracking down on multiple lights

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
hahaha, that won't work, do you know how many people in this area have multiple lights? They would have to pull over pretty much every single member of every volunteer fire company in NY, wait until you see my car in a few weeks...anyways, our past 1st asst. chief (Jeff St. John) used to own Hot Shots Fire, but now his wife's son in law bought the business cause Jeff had it up for sale

bassman1490

Forum Crew Member
yeah i dont think the cops will care but thats what i was tld. dude your car is gonna look so cool after you get those lights in.

BBFDMedic28

Forum Crew Member
if it helps i have led's on my truck. They move traffic, are very bright, and draw little power. They are also becomming less expensive.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
And besides, the lights do nothing for you except make you feel important. I can have them, but I don't. Like the moron who passed me this morning on icy roads, doing 65 ... the one I ended up right behind at the intersection with the highway 7 minutes later.... Why engage in risky behavior, expecting other drivers to get out of the way of your POV so you can save 30 seconds in response time? Risk vs Gain.. it doesn't make sense.

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
Bossy - I'm right with you on this. I pulled all the green light from our service providers over three years ago. Too many incidents close calls and complaints created the simpler solution - just take call from station - drive the rig to the call. If you are not on duty go to the station to man the second or third rig.
Best thing - response time droped by nearly 6 minutes and the complaints stopped altogether - go figure

Canoeman