Lifting fat people - I'm not pulling with "all my might"????

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
Good grief! Always always always get help with the Biggins! If they are stable and you can stay and play while you wait for help then do it! I wish I could describe a couple of calls I had with the same patient but I am from a small community and I don't dare risk it.
Slider boards are great in the hospital or nursing home setting, so are Hoyer lifts. I will never ever risk my back again.

24/7 has a lesson plan for bariatric patients. I am thinking about getting it and doing that class for the agency I work for.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Good grief! Always always always get help with the Biggins! If they are stable and you can stay and play while you wait for help then do it! I wish I could describe a couple of calls I had with the same patient but I am from a small community and I don't dare risk it.
Slider boards are great in the hospital or nursing home setting, so are Hoyer lifts. I will never ever risk my back again.

24/7 has a lesson plan for bariatric patients. I am thinking about getting it and doing that class for the agency I work for.

a proper bariatric program involves much more than a class. you need a bariatric stretcher, ramps, winch, the whole shooting match. proper body mechanics only takes you so far.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
One of the ERs/hospitals in Boston just instituted a bariatric team-- not only bariatric beds, and slide boards but specially trained staff and support. Ambulance crews now need to call ahead to "mobilize" the team when bringing in a bariatric patient.
From what I understand, more and more hospitals are forming these teams-- the number of workers comp claims has shot up recently-- and there have been patients hurt from these poor moves.
OP, pulling "with all your might" is only one piece of the puzzle... you also need the tools and training to make the move successful.
As well, if you are having trouble with the sheet carry try moving to the "push" side not the "pull side" until you feel comfortable with it.

Good Luck!

Dan

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
a proper bariatric program involves much more than a class. you need a bariatric stretcher, ramps, winch, the whole shooting match. proper body mechanics only takes you so far.

I have talked about getting a bariatric rig for the county, having it centrally located and for any departments use. The problem is funding and training. So if we start with the classroom training and get some eyes to open and see the need maybe we can move forward with all the other stuff.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Using a garbage bag (clean); or a plastic laundry bag; tucked under the patient's draw sheet helps tremendously in reducing friction if there is no slide board available. But still GET HELP!!!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well when I get my certification, I hope to have super-powers myself. :glare: