let it lapse?

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
my search for employment as an emt/er tech has failed.

i found a job manufacturing measuring devices starting at $12/ph(around what emt-b's make here) with lots of overtime and a $2/ph bump after 6 months.

while i would like to work as an emt i dont see it happening.

is it possible to keep my cert(nremt) active and renew after 2 years without working as an emt?

if it is possible, should i keep it current, or just let it lapse?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I think NREMT requires you to be affiliated with an agency, however, your state card will probably still be good. If you want any chance of working as an EMT, you got to keep your state card.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Green isn't hiring over there?

Does Louisiana require NREMT to keep the state card active?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
green?

im not sure, i didnt see anything on it. nremt is required to get the state card(same numbers even).

Acadian=green ;)

Looks like a valid NREMT is required to renew Louisiana certs. Check with NREMT. You can probably go inactive with them and just keep up with the continuing education to renew NREMT every 2 years.

Id give both the Louisiana state office and NREMT a call to verify.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
"Inactive Status

An inactive status is designated for certified EMS professionals who:
are not actively engaged in ambulance/rescue service or health/patient care activity
must be inactive for a period of time – such as, moving, illness, pursuit of education, family responsibilities, etc.
are not actively treating patients such as, educators, administrators or regulators.
Inactive status will be awarded only to those who have fulfilled refresher, CPR and continuing education requirements. Inactive status only exempts the registrant from providing proof of affiliation and verification of skills competence.

Only certified EMS professionals who can document a minimum of 6 months active affiliation with an EMS service, may request inactive status. A certified EMS professional may not request inactive status in their initial recertification period if they have never been affiliated with an ambulance/rescue service or functioned in a patient health care setting. "
( http://www.nremt.org/nremt/EMTServices/rereg_pol_proc.asp )

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
Acadian=green ;)

Looks like a valid NREMT is required to renew Louisiana certs. Check with NREMT. You can probably go inactive with them and just keep up with the continuing education to renew NREMT every 2 years.

Id give both the Louisiana state office and NREMT a call to verify.

i interview with acadian: not enough experience and they just had a class finish up and thier students have preference on jobs.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
"Inactive Status

An inactive status is designated for certified EMS professionals who:
are not actively engaged in ambulance/rescue service or health/patient care activity
must be inactive for a period of time – such as, moving, illness, pursuit of education, family responsibilities, etc.
are not actively treating patients such as, educators, administrators or regulators.
Inactive status will be awarded only to those who have fulfilled refresher, CPR and continuing education requirements. Inactive status only exempts the registrant from providing proof of affiliation and verification of skills competence.

Only certified EMS professionals who can document a minimum of 6 months active affiliation with an EMS service, may request inactive status. A certified EMS professional may not request inactive status in their initial recertification period if they have never been affiliated with an ambulance/rescue service or functioned in a patient health care setting. "
( http://www.nremt.org/nremt/EMTServices/rereg_pol_proc.asp )

thanks.