lapsed recert????

xpired

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I have searched and searched through tons of websites and cannot get a clear answer about my recert so I'm hoping someone in here knows.
I am approaching two years lapsed but have recently been accepted into fire academy and a current EMT is required so I am trying to recert as soon as possible, heres the issue. I am in California and am certified (or was) through the state fire marshall before the nremt was required but now I would like to know if getting recerted requires I take the nremt exam. Please help me out here. I would really appreciate it!

Jim

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you may need to take the course again or a recert class and will probably need to take the NREMT. You must take a class or recert to take the NREMT at this point.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure about California, but our state will allow you to challenge the state test and recert. But there is a time issue with arranging for someone to proctor the test and then grading, and submittal of the results to the DOH. Can take a month or so to get it all done.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
from what i know in California you have two years to renew your EMT cert after it expires by passing the national reg again. if the two years has elapsed you have to retake your EMT training program then do national reg to get your EMT cert active again. or at least that is my understanding of the system.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
You need to call your local EMSA to find out the information needed to recert.
Things have gotten a little more complicated since California has gone to NR. Hope this helps and good luck!