LA County Enough is enough!!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Civil service is for doing the necessary jobs which money must be dissociated from because it doses not pay enough or it is too prone to abuse.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Civil service is for doing the necessary jobs which money must be dissociated from because it doses not pay enough or it is too prone to abuse.

Perhaps but I'd be happy as a LEO just about anywhere.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And not in a pool of Armor-All on glass.

Heylove

Forum Probie
Thank you

I have read, and reread this thread over the last few days. I am testing with an ambulance company tomorrow morning, and then interviewing on Tuesday if I pass. I often ask myself why the heck I would want to go into this profession, especially after establishing such a wonderful career as a 911 dispatcher/calltaker. Mind you, I had a close working relationship with this particular ambulance company, and I don't mean to laugh, but they weren't generally the sharpest tools in the shed.

The absolute honest answer is that there was a deputy that was killed in the line of duty in our county, one that I knew personally, and when I attended his funeral, I learned that he started his career as an EMT. That was the start of the new direction in my life...I moved to LA and attended my basic EMT school last summer.

I do see this as a "stepping stone" to bigger and better things. I've been there...I've been the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the totem pole! Actually, working for the agency that I came from, as trainees we were told that we were "the scum on the outside of the bottom of the barrel." I seriously don't mind doing IFT's for a year or so. Those of us that are in for the long haul with reap wonderful rewards!

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I have read, and reread this thread over the last few days. I am testing with an ambulance company tomorrow morning, and then interviewing on Tuesday if I pass. I often ask myself why the heck I would want to go into this profession, especially after establishing such a wonderful career as a 911 dispatcher/calltaker. Mind you, I had a close working relationship with this particular ambulance company, and I don't mean to laugh, but they weren't generally the sharpest tools in the shed.

The absolute honest answer is that there was a deputy that was killed in the line of duty in our county, one that I knew personally, and when I attended his funeral, I learned that he started his career as an EMT. That was the start of the new direction in my life...I moved to LA and attended my basic EMT school last summer.

I do see this as a "stepping stone" to bigger and better things. I've been there...I've been the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the totem pole! Actually, working for the agency that I came from, as trainees we were told that we were "the scum on the outside of the bottom of the barrel." I seriously don't mind doing IFT's for a year or so. Those of us that are in for the long haul with reap wonderful rewards!

I will very truthful, i don't understand your decision to switch from 911 dispatcher to emt especially in LA County. There are so many emt's that you can make more money working at in and out. I understand that it's stepping stone for you but I hope you understand how little you will be paid. Good Luck.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Move east.

Heylove

Forum Probie
I know!

I will very truthful, i don't understand your decision to switch from 911 dispatcher to emt especially in LA County. There are so many emt's that you can make more money working at in and out. I understand that it's stepping stone for you but I hope you understand how little you will be paid. Good Luck.

Trust me, I know it's not easy to understand. I barely understand it, either! First of all, I am kinda "older" -- and having just moved to LA, I am not very familiar with the geography of this new territory. I don't feel comfortable with not knowing this area and applying for dispatch jobs.

The money is practically a non-issue at the moment. I spend a lot of time volunteering so I'm used to not getting much in return for my time. I think it comes down to if you REALLY love doing something, the money is not important.

Thanks!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Trust me, I know it's not easy to understand. I barely understand it, either! First of all, I am kinda "older" -- and having just moved to LA, I am not very familiar with the geography of this new territory. I don't feel comfortable with not knowing this area and applying for dispatch jobs.

The money is practically a non-issue at the moment. I spend a lot of time volunteering so I'm used to not getting much in return for my time. I think it comes down to if you REALLY love doing something, the money is not important.

Thanks!

If you're worried about the geography, just get a job at a private dispatching. TBH, if what you want is to be a disaptcher, then get into that position, you're not going to start off dispatching calls, you'll b etaking them, no need to know the area for that.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I decided to go back to dispatch ;)
hmmmm, work as a 911 dispatcher, get paid ok-decently, government employee, government benefits, and be able to live on your salary and work on an ambulance part time if you wanted to.

or work as an EMT, for $8 an hour (which is considered high in LA), crappy benefits (if any), be treated like crap by the paramedics, fire departments, and nursing homes, and know you can be fired at any moment for doing the right thing. oh, and typically with incompetent management who think of you as easily replaceable and treated as such.

Good call on going back to dispatch.

Heylove

Forum Probie
hmmmm, work as a 911 dispatcher, get paid ok-decently, government employee, government benefits, and be able to live on your salary and work on an ambulance part time if you wanted to.

or work as an EMT, for $8 an hour (which is considered high in LA), crappy benefits (if any), be treated like crap by the paramedics, fire departments, and nursing homes, and know you can be fired at any moment for doing the right thing. oh, and typically with incompetent management who think of you as easily replaceable and treated as such.

Good call on going back to dispatch.

Thanks! I think? ;) The really funny thing is that I wanted to be an EMT for the experience! I'm in the process of applying to nursing schools and wanted just to be on a rig for more than just my clinical hours, dangit! I would have even ~worked on a rig for FREE!~ just for the experience. One certain company >ahem< was totally retarded (IMHO) so as a result, I've returned back where I loooooooove to be, under the headset. Thank you, thank you!

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Thanks! I think? ;) The really funny thing is that I wanted to be an EMT for the experience! I'm in the process of applying to nursing schools and wanted just to be on a rig for more than just my clinical hours, dangit! I would have even ~worked on a rig for FREE!~ just for the experience. One certain company >ahem< was totally retarded (IMHO) so as a result, I've returned back where I loooooooove to be, under the headset. Thank you, thank you!

You can always shoot for an EMD-N, may not be what you're looking for though. Seems like the're a pro using venture.