Kudos to the staff at this school.

Epi-do

I see dead people
AED saves Franklin Township student

Austin Tabor recently made his first trip back to his school's choir room since he had a heart attack there. It happened in the first few minutes of class on the last Monday of the school year. Austin, 15, was blue and had no pulse.

Austin was shocked three times.

"I just couldn't believe it because you don't expect a 15-year-old to drop dead," she said.

The Automated External Deliberator was placed at Franklin Township Middle School East just last year.

Read more here.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
as I quote from the article:
"It tells you everything to do, thank goodness," said Waters.
Waters the school nurse relies heavily on the verbal instructions. If a school nurse doesn't know how to use the AED who will?

I hope it is taken out of context. I'm glad to see a happy story though for once.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
as I quote from the article:

Waters the school nurse relies heavily on the verbal instructions. If a school nurse doesn't know how to use the AED who will?

I hope it is taken out of context. I'm glad to see a happy story though for once.

Keep in mind that she is a school nurse. I am sure she is good at her job, and what it entails during the day to day routine. However, just because she is a good school nurse, does not mean she is a good person to have around in an emergency. There are plenty of medical professionals out there that are very good at their area of expertise, but are the last person I would want to have helping me in the middle of an emergency. Some people just don't do well under pressure, and may take that into consideration when they decide to do something other than emergency medicine.

Also, how many of us expect to find a seemingly healthy 15 yo kid on the floor in front of us after dropping due to sudden cardiac arrest? Granted, given the nature of our job, we are able to jump in and do what we need to, but I am willing to bet that at least some of us would pause, if only for a split second, when they initially saw how young this particular patient was.

We've all been in "oh crap" situations where we need a push to get moving again. If the verbal prompts on the AED were what she needed to keep her focused on what she needed to do, so be it.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I think AEDs should be mandatory in all schools and at all of their sporting events.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I made sure to get an AED got my shul after someone went down (non cardiac). We also got the pedi pads as there is a nursery school there. We trained all the staff on how to use them and CPR.