Kind of worried

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Hi all,

Last night was observing on an ambo and after a call I was helping clean the bus. While trying to pick up a piece of paper and didn't realize there was a sharp inside it,until I pocked my self, it fell out of the 1 pouch. It was unused but on the floor. the cover was kind of broken and I did not bleed after the piercing.

The head medic said it fine and i shouldn't worry.

Should I still get tested for aids, hip A-C or any thing else?

I'm not part of the service. So have no protocol to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Let's clarify this. You are absolutely sure that the sharp was not used (even in an attempt for access) on any patient? What was it doing with a broken cover in a piece of paper?

If you were observing and actively riding along, there should be some sort of protocol covering a needle-stick. I would speak with the supervisor at the agency. Not just the medic who told you not to worry.

I would also say better safe than sorry. Figure out where you legally stand with this company as far as exposure rules, but go get yourself seen if there's any chance it had potentially infectious material. You're going to worry about it unless you do. Better to have superfluous blood draws for a while than to let something develop unknown.

Good luck to you!

Wendy
CO EMT-B

OP
OP
M

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
It was not used, was no where near any form of blood.It was not there before the call. it just fell out the jump bag while looking for some thing. it the covering paper probably broke when i went to grab it. It was kind of broken at the end and top where the sharpest points are.

How long would it take to incubate into an actual threat of any kind and will i have to get a test every month two months etc?

Thanks

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
It was not used, was no where near any form of blood.It was not there before the call. it just fell out the jump bag while looking for some thing. it the covering paper probably broke when i went to grab it. It was kind of broken at the end and top where the sharpest points are.

There is little or no risk of any blood borne pathogen. If it were me, I wouldn't bother. The workers comp / exposure paper work would be too much trougle. I would just write up an incident report to document the event.

How long would it take to incubate into an actual threat of any kind and will i have to get a test every month two months etc?

As with any other cut or wound, you have a risk for infection. I would make sure I'm up on my Tetanus shot and keep the area clean and perhaps use triple-antibiotic ointment.

OP
OP
M

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm up to date with my tetanus shot.

Thanks a lot guys n girls.

Hope fully this will be the first n last time I have this scare.