KEDs?

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
Ok... placement of the groin straps... Last year in my class, we were told to really see-saw them, and to get them in the crack, "like a thong." This year, I was trying to teach the new basics to do that, and heard from the grapevine that one of the students said I had "something up my crotch" because I was telling them they were placing the straps wrong.

Where do you place the straps, then, if I am wrong?? Should they be "like a thong" or not?

gradygirl

TROUBLE
No, it shouldn't be like a thong (and trust me, I've been KEDed more times than I can count, so I'm more speaking from personal experience than actually using one.) The best placement in under the pelvic bone, that way there is the most support for that area. Imagine that you're trying to provide a seat for your patient's buttocks, so right under the pelvis is the best placement for a weight bearing to comfort ratio. And the best way to get those things up there is to use a "flossing" motion, that way it's quick and dirty and doesn't move your patient much.