K9 sar

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
PS: Please do not let us turn you away from SAR or make you think it's horrible. We obviously do it for free for a reason. I absolutely love it. It's challenging, rewarding, and I've made a second family through it. There's nothing like getting into the great outdoors with a bunch of the best buddies you'll ever have, doing a little manual labor for a good cause.

And NOTHING beats the warm fuzzies you get from being a part of taking someone from being cold, lost, scared, hurt to warm safety and reuniting them with family who thought their loved one might be dead.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
I don't want to be "k9 specific". I was interested in SAR and even more interested in K9 SAR.

My suggestion would be for you to learn how to crawl before you walk so to speak. I would suggest that you should concentrate on your skills before tackling trying to train a dog.

I was on a Wilderness SAR team in the Rockies for 16 years before moving to the East Coast. I feel like I still have lots to learn about SAR.

Just my opinion, but I know what a commitment it is to do either one. Unless you don't want any kind of life outside of SAR.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
PS: Please do not let us turn you away from SAR or make you think it's horrible.

It is horrible... It is cold, it is wet, it is tiring, it is exhausting, it is backbreaking... and IT IS GREAT... for all the reasons you listed and the fact that anyone willing to subject themselves to SAR is Clinically INSANE... BWAHAHAHAHAHA.... :wacko:

But seriously, Lucid is 110% right (for the second time today, I mean this year ^_^), SAR is worth it as long as you are reasdy for the pain and the FUN!!! It is worth it in the personal satisfaction you get...

Unless you don't want any kind of life outside of SAR.

THERE IS NO LIFE OUTSIDE SAR!!! ;) LOL

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone do it? I'd love to pick a few brains.

I am so keen to get into this field, and I'm just waiting to hear about the Wilderness training that one of the Fire Chiefs is planning although I do find that it's not advertised anywhere. It seems to just be those within the EMS community that ever hear of things like this.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sorry, area around Scott AFB is too flat for searching.

Just kidding.
But it IS pretty flat!

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Just kidding.
But it IS pretty flat!

LOL you're quite right but it is a tri state organisation type of thing so I'm sure there's a few slopes around..besides, we won't be here forever!

I volunteer at the humane society occassionally and would love to work with the k9 department. I was hoping to do my training while I'm here then when I move to an area where there's more "opportunity" I'd be prepared!