Just when I thought we gave enough of our arms and legs...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm looking through my JEMS magazine, reading the article on "The Vague OD". Page 62 for you whacker subscribers out there.

I come upon this advertisement for "The Big Shears". Compares your run of the mill shears to cutting a paper airplane, and the new deal to cutting a jet. I'm thinking, awesome, I gotta have a pair.. or three...

Now, I have dozens of pairs of the regular shears, all over the place. I use them for every day things, working in the garage, the garden, etc. The quirk to this is, I can get them ANYWHERE.. The pharmacy, Walmart, any catalog, and free from a Drug rep, if I don't mind advertising Viagara, or some new allergy med. The most I've ever paid for a pair of job shears, you may call them Trauma Shears, maybe around five bucks.

I log into the site below, and I click on "purchase online".

:O Whacker Shock. Or is it sticker shock?

$59.99 for a pair of these shears!
faint.gif

I can cut five layers of clothing, three layers of leather, bunker gear, an entire set of aluminum shelves, or a galvanized steel bucket with my Walmart trauma shears, and that cost me $3.99. I did a lot of this on the job, or when I was restoring my ambulances. The worst that would happen, is I'd have to realign the shears. But for $3.99, it really didn't phase me.

Knowing that our jobs aren't that high on the payroll, and that equipment costs an arm and a leg.. because they know we need it. This is almost an insult.. And no, I didn't buy a pair...

What the hell is so special about this product that would make a responder pay sixty bucks for it... and if you want a holster to keep it in, that's going to cost you $98 bucks!

right-nav-5.jpg

http://www.bigshears.com

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks! I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to spend money I don't have. :)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Now Alex...did you not read about these magical wonderful shears.

They will make the person holding them exclaim "WOW!" the very first time they touch them.

And the handle can break out a window in case of an emergency.

They are Chrome! We all know boys LOVE chrome! Can you hear the grunting now!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
If I can't break the window with my punch, a key, my bottle, or a tool... I'll break their antenna off and use that.

Still.. A sixty dollar pair of shears? Do they have a satalite tracking device in case I lose them or they are stolen? :rolleyes:

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
do they slice, dice & make julian fries for $60 ????

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Do they come with the swimsuit issue absolutely free?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
the sad thing is, if they are charging $60, they must be getting it from some people or they would change their prices.

So somewhere out there, are some EMS people with "Really COOL" shears that make them exclaim WOW!! when they touch them.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
They've got SUPERWHACKERBUFF written all over them

on the other hand, Will they cut a car apart faster than the jaws of life?

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
TTLWHKR said:
I'd like to know the production cost of them...

probably $1.50 a pair

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Just wait until the Next Fire/Ems Expo, you will most likely see someone selling them there.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
these actually look pretty cool!

Jon

RebelRescue

Forum Probie
MedicStudentJon said:

Jon

They sure do.............but that ain't $60 bucks worth of cool..........

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:

Jon

Cool like a littman? Awe, it's only 200 bucks. Oops, I lost it, okay, 200 more.. ooops..

How many pairs of scissors do you go through?

I lose mine all the time.