Just took the NYS exam. Anyone else?

Hypochondriac

Forum Crew Member
So just took and hopefully passed the NYS exam yesterday. Did anyone else take it? A few questions were iffy though. I hoping a few people took it so we can review some of the material asked.

The 10 sample questions are they random questions? Or do they decide what the questions were once they grade the exam?

echo

Forum Ride Along
I took it too. There were definitely a couple questions with tricky wording. I don't want to get too detailed about the questions, but I'll just say that suctioning the lungs is not a valid treatment of pulmonary edema :)

The research questions are decided ahead of time and randomly mixed into the rest of the exam

OP
OP
H

Hypochondriac

Forum Crew Member
I took it too. There were definitely a couple questions with tricky wording. I don't want to get too detailed about the questions, but I'll just say that suctioning the lungs is not a valid treatment of pulmonary edema :)

The research questions are decided ahead of time and randomly mixed into the rest of the exam

I know were not allowed to post the specific questions. But I think a general discussion is ok

How did you think you did? A friend took onsite and got an 85%. I believe I passed but not sure with what grade.

Last edited by a moderator:

McLen

Forum Ride Along
Yeah I took it last night. The tough one for me was the vaginal bleeding, and how it talked about packing it. Since we don't put anything in, I went with massage the uterus.

echo

Forum Ride Along
yeah, I think I passed too. Most of the questions were straight forward.

McLen: good choice B)

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
My wife took it last night for her refresher , hoping she passed as my little town needs all the emt's we can get. Btw she thinks she passed and she isn't much of a test taker.

zmedic

Forum Captain
I took it last night. 45min of my life I'll never have back. Sigh. My fire department is making me get it back since being 6 months from my MD isn't enough. Which makes sense but there were other things I would have rather been doing last night.

Some of the questions were pretty bad though, like just poorly worded. Probably the ones they were testing out.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Also took it on site, passed. Very heavy on shock from what I saw, good amount of immobilization on there too.

A lot of it seemed pretty ambiguous, more of what's the most right answer of two that could potentially both be correct depending upon a situation.

echo

Forum Ride Along
yup, and they say it takes 6-8 weeks. I forgot about it for most of january, but now I'm getting anxious :)

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
None here yet either for my wife. Methinks the state workers are dragging their feet due to their current employment climate , cutbacks, impending layoffs, etc. Not to mention Holiday season.

echo

Forum Ride Along
I Passed!

Got an email from my instructor, he said I got a 91. Now the waiting for the card :(

McLen

Forum Ride Along
Passed as well! I was down at my Masonic Temple, my dad texts me like "something from NYS DOH in mail." I FLEW home. Yay!! :D

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Glad you all got yours and congrats. As my wife is driving herself crazy I hope she gets her card or results soon.

OP
OP
H

Hypochondriac

Forum Crew Member
Congrats too those who passed. I'm still waiting on the result. Took the test in NYC, those who got the result, where did you take the test?

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Wife got card today, now that she's an EMT again I have at least one place where I can boss her around.;)

wyze

Forum Ride Along
successfully passed EMT B testing on DEC 16th

Yes, i successfully passed EMT- B testing on the 16th of Dec 2010 at LaGuardia College in Long Island City......paid the $20 and got my results that night and recieved just yesterday the official certification certificate and wallet id. Now trying to get on with a local / private EMS company company until i am called for FDNY.