Just started EMT-B program 3 weeks ago, any input?

Brian Herzberg

Forum Ride Along
Giving up everything for EMT-B class seems a little excessive to me... For medic school I could see it, but I don't think EMT was that intense.. YMMV and you might need to put more focus into, if that's the case, do so.

Yeah, every class/instructor is different. Ours was pretty hard.. but i see what you mean

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
Giving up everything for EMT-B class seems a little excessive to me... For medic school I could see it, but I don't think EMT was that intense.. YMMV and you might need to put more focus into, if that's the case, do so.

I pretty much gave up everything as well.
I stopped hanging out with friends as much. The schedule for classes, rides, and clinicals got too crazy for my job, so they fired me. I used to go out to karaoke as a stress reliever every week, but I stopped going. I'm not a very good student in general, and I wanted to do well.
After ridding myself of all the distractions, I'm now top of my class. And since my course is coming to a close in a week or two, I'm studying like crazy for my State and National licenses.
Once I've got those in hand, I can pick up where I left off in my social life.
My cutting everything out was a choice for me. Because I don't just want to "get by" in this profession. I want to be damn good. So I work hard for it. Almost like an obsession. But like I say, I'm not the best student. It's a little harder for me to retain things than others, so I really have to work at it.

It may not be the same for you. And if not, more power to you.
But since I'm top of my class and doing so well with everything, I'm warranting myself a break this week. A little karaoke celebration. So I got that going for me. Lol.
My point is, if it gets too crazy, don't be afraid to give somethings up. The people that truly matter will still be there cheering you on when you come back 'round.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I pretty much gave up everything as well.
I stopped hanging out with friends as much. The schedule for classes, rides, and clinicals got too crazy for my job, so they fired me. I used to go out to karaoke as a stress reliever every week, but I stopped going. I'm not a very good student in general, and I wanted to do well.
After ridding myself of all the distractions, I'm now top of my class. And since my course is coming to a close in a week or two, I'm studying like crazy for my State and National licenses.
Once I've got those in hand, I can pick up where I left off in my social life.
My cutting everything out was a choice for me. Because I don't just want to "get by" in this profession. I want to be damn good. So I work hard for it. Almost like an obsession. But like I say, I'm not the best student. It's a little harder for me to retain things than others, so I really have to work at it.

It may not be the same for you. And if not, more power to you.
But since I'm top of my class and doing so well with everything, I'm warranting myself a break this week. A little karaoke celebration. So I got that going for me. Lol.
My point is, if it gets too crazy, don't be afraid to give somethings up. The people that truly matter will still be there cheering you on when you come back 'round.
Hence my last sentence :) but that's great you've become top of your class! You should strive to maintain that until the very end

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
Hence my last sentence :) but that's great you've become top of your class! You should strive to maintain that until the very end

Whoops! Didn't see that! Lol.
And I definitely will. I was a crap student in middle school and high school. I just didn't care.
Once I started college, I was actually working toward something I love and enjoy. For the first time since elementary school (literally), I've made the Dean's List at my college, have a high GPA, and as I said, am top of my class. The feeling of accomplishment is a great thing to feel. And I honestly can. Not. Stop. Learning. I can't get enough of it.
I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to annoy my dad and all his retired FF buddies with all the questions and whatnot I've been throwing at them. It's amazing to feel such a passion.

I had a pretty rough start to everything. Took me forever to find out where to go and who to talk to to get my foot in the door. But I never stopped. And now the ball is rolling. Every time things fall into place and I have an 'ah-ha!' moment, I try to share with other students. I'm not the end-all-be-all source of knowledge. Of course I'm not. But if I can help out in any way, I'm totally down for it.