Just some New Hire questions.

EMTSic

Forum Probie
I am 19 yrs old and lately i have been doing all the steps needed to start looking for EMT-B Jobs. The last step i have to do is the Ambulance Test at the DMV.

I'm super nervous about the first couple days once being hired? I just would like to prepare a little bit. No one has really given me a clear answer about what i should expect? Am i going to be training or do they pair me up with another experienced EMT? I'm just confused on the whole process and i know there is no clear cut answer.

Another question i had was, whats the hiring process like? If you remember any oral questions they asked you let me know :) Warn me about anything else i need to know!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I am 19 yrs old and lately i have been doing all the steps needed to start looking for EMT-B Jobs. The last step i have to do is the Ambulance Test at the DMV.

I'm super nervous about the first couple days once being hired? I just would like to prepare a little bit. No one has really given me a clear answer about what i should expect? Am i going to be training or do they pair me up with another experienced EMT? I'm just confused on the whole process and i know there is no clear cut answer.

Another question i had was, whats the hiring process like? If you remember any oral questions they asked you let me know :) Warn me about anything else i need to know!

1- If you are in CA I would recommend going to the DMV and paying 5 bucks for the Ambulance Driver Handbook.

2- Depends on your company but usually you spend some amount of time with a Field Training Officer, either an EMT or a Medic

3- For me (N=1) it was written test similar to NR, skills test, then a normal job interview "tell me about a time when you went above and beyond, tell me about a time when you learned from a mistake, tell me about blah blah blah".

Dont sweat it, everyone was new sometime, be confident but realize you still have a lot to learn. Potential employers will notice and appreciate such an attitude

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Chances are they're in CA. They're one of the only states I know if with an ambulance drivers license.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

EMTSic

Forum Probie
I haven't even applied anywhere yet i just did the physical and the livescan to take the ambulance test.

Yes im in California